Aimiebell

So, maybe I’m wrong, but it looks like Google just employed a bot they release on Github 6 days ago to review a bunch of pull requests, including at least one from jmonkey. Does anyone know anything about this?

It’s also wrong. I wonder how we shut it off.

I mean, it’s kinda useless… but technically right…

first time see, it would be nice if it would not spam, but write single message per pr…

The jme account can block the user to prevent it from interacting with its repos.

But I do believe that this is a private bot, I see no links to Google nor any reference to the bot when I google it.

This is a clear violation of using a bot to spam repositories. I am reporting it.

1 Like

I think the reason we have four posts is that the same issue cropped up in four of my classes that I pretty much copied and pasted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this might be a new employee at Google that is experimenting on their own with a company-issued account, but there does seem to be a connection.

I’ll probably do the same. I won’t carry the weight of a community leader, but it will at least let GitHub know that this isn’t just one irritated guy.
EDIT: Nevermind, the entire user appears to have disappeared a couple minutes ago. I guess either GitHub or Google pulled it. However, I wonder how this third-party entity got to be put to the position of “Reviewer” on this PR.

1 Like

If it’s smart enough to know that these were console messages then: yes. It seemed to be suggesting that formats should universally prefer to use %n, which is patently false. “Defaulting to platform line endings” is the source of so many bugs that I consider it an anti-idiom these days.

1 Like

As in when logging to a file?
I’ll keep that in mind.

As in when writing to a file. “Logging” implies that someone might be reading it on the console and then if they are on Windows they might prefer to have carriage returns in there.

So it doesn't
             look like this
                           after each line feed.

But that is a small subset of the types of files developers will write. Maybe you have your own custom file format, etc…

It’s better to be specific in those cases.

If it’s intended for the console then by all means go ahead and use %n. Else, if you are writing a file, probably you want to specify UTF-8 and pick a specific line ending. (That Java defaults to system platform encoding is an even bigger issue.)

2 Likes