Another CharacterControl falling through the floor

Hey guys,

First time here, so I just trying to get my bearings with JMonkey. I thought I’d give myself some practice my developing a simple side scrolling game; however, my first problem lies in the player hitting the floor. I’ve created a simple box as the player and a box as the floor. Problem is, even after fooling around with the stepheight and all, the best I could get was the “player” bobbing up and down inside the floor for about 6 seconds, then falling through.

Now, according to past threads with this problem, it could be because I’m using a box as the floor. But with a setup this small, I’d like to know if that really is the problem? And if so, how should I use a plane as the floor? I’ve tried to setup the plane, but I’m not understanding how to make it a rigidbody because it’s not a geometry. Or am I missing something?

Oh, and I’ve switched on the physicsSpace debugger, and the collision meshes seem to wrap around both objects nicely

Anyway, here is the main piece of code:

[java]public void simpleInitApp() {

bulletAppState = new BulletAppState();

stateManager.attach(bulletAppState);

//First, create geometry

Box playerShape = new Box(Vector3f.ZERO, 1,1,1);

Spatial p1 = new Geometry(“Player1”,playerShape);

//Next, attach material

Material p1mat = new Material(assetManager, “Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md”);

p1mat.setColor(“Color”,ColorRGBA.Green);

p1.setMaterial(p1mat);

//Then, create physics

BoxCollisionShape character = new BoxCollisionShape(new Vector3f(1f,1f,1f));

player = new CharacterControl(character,0.7f);

p1.addControl(player);

player.setPhysicsLocation(new Vector3f(0f,5f,0f));

//Then, attach physics and make visible

rootNode.attachChild(p1);

bulletAppState.getPhysicsSpace().add(player);

//First, create geometry

Box floor = new Box(Vector3f.ZERO,3f,0.1f,3f);

Geometry floor_geo = new Geometry(“Floor”, floor);

//Then, attach material

Material floor_mat = new Material(assetManager, “Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded.j3md”);

floor_mat.setColor(“Color”,ColorRGBA.Gray);

floor_geo.setMaterial(floor_mat);

//Then, create physics

RigidBodyControl box_phy = new RigidBodyControl(0);

floor_geo.addControl(box_phy);

//Then, attach physics and make visible

bulletAppState.getPhysicsSpace().add(box_phy);

rootNode.attachChild(floor_geo);

bulletAppState.getPhysicsSpace().enableDebug(assetManager);

/* flyCam.setEnabled(false);

ChaseCamera chasecam = new ChaseCamera(cam,p1,inputManager);

chasecam.setDefaultVerticalRotation(-FastMath.PI/0.5f);*/

//initKeys();

}[/java]

I’m not a physics expert but, yes the fact that you use a thin box is the problem.

did you try to make your floor more than 0.1 thick?

Also don’t use a Plane class, it a math class, it’s not a mesh class. You should have used a quad and make a geometry from it.

But still for your issue, don’t use a quad, because you’ll have the same issue.

1 Like

Your floor has extents of 3m and ur character has 1. So the triangles will be ~6m for the floor, that’s too big. Try decrease them both by a factor of 10 and see if u have the same issue.

There has been quite a few of these threads recently

Thanks for the replies guys.

First, I tried nehon’s suggestion, and increased the thickness to 0.5. Didn’t work. But thanks for the tip about the plane stuff.

wezrule, when you said “decrease them both by a factor of 10” did you mean this:

[java]Box playerShape = new Box(Vector3f.ZERO, 0.1f,0.1f,0.1f);

BoxCollisionShape character = new BoxCollisionShape(new Vector3f(0.1f,0.1f,0.1f));[/java]

for the player and:

[java]Box floor = new Box(Vector3f.ZERO,.3f,.01f,.3f);[/java]

for the floor?

I tried that, and it still didn’t work.

But I noticed something weird when I was testing it out. When the object falls through/sinks into the floor, the mesh of the player sometimes gets thrown off and appears, say, 2 or 3 units lower than than where the player is, like this:

Any ideas why this is happening, and is it related to my problem?

try a capsule collision shape they are easier to move

1 Like

Sweet, it works now. I changed it to a capsule collider and fiddled around with the settings. Even with the same floor settings of 3f, 0.1f, and 3f, the character with a capsule collider didn’t fall/sink in.

Here was the “fix” : [java]CapsuleCollisionShape character = new CapsuleCollisionShape(1.5f,0f);[/java]

Awesome. I love the fact that I got such quick responses.

Thanks guys.