* Set the frequency, also known as refresh rate, for the
 * rendering display.
 * @param value The frequency
 * (Default: 60)
 */
public void setFrequency(int value) {
    putInteger("Frequency", value);
}

…and I’m wondering how this relates (or is different from) the frame rate. The only mention of “frequency” that I can find after scanning the docs is here:

https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/jme3/intermediate/simpleapplication.html#application-class

where it mentions “update frequency” in passing. So I ask: what is this frequency/update frequency/refresh rate, what are its legal range of values, and what are the costs/tradeoffs the higher/lower that you set it?

It seems like this is all described right here:
https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/jme3/intermediate/appsettings.html

…which was a link on the page you included.

Really? On that page there are only two English sentences (not code snippets) that mention the word “frequency”:

No use setting it to a higher value than the screen frequency!

and:

Set vertical syncing to true to time the frame buffer to coincide with the refresh frequency of the screen.

Neither of these explain to me what frequency/refresh rate are.

Your monitor has a refresh rate. That’s how fast it’s drawing pretty pictures on the screen. It’s doing this a certain number of times per second. Usually 60 times a second.

This is what frequency is. The refresh rate of your screen. As in,how fast your screen is refreshing. As in, how many frames your MONITOR is displaying per second. The display frequency.[quote=“smeeb_bimderbupo, post:1, topic:38225”]
/**

• Set the frequency, also known as refresh rate, for the
  • rendering display.
    [/quote]

This will not control the update frequency of your application at all. Not one bit. Unless you set Vsync to true.

You kind of actually have to read the pages and synthesize the information in your mind instead of just jumping around and searching for a specific keyword.

To an outsider looking in, display and monitor aren’t obviously the same thing. Had the Javadocs used the word “monitor”, it would have been obvious that this setting/property had to do with your monitor, not some in-memory abstraction called display.

But thank you for the response.