(April 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

My kids are officially on spring break now… though they haven’t really started to make anything yet. I’m now scrambling to get base features in place as I can in and among my dad-duties. (“Heheh… he said doodies…”)

Anyway, tonight I built in the grid that keeps track of what is placed where so that objects can’t overlap (beyond whatever overlap they allow)… I also made a pond object:

Until the kids create “mobs”, I have a limited number of existing animated mobs… one of them is a Frog that @nehon created for me some time back. If the kids come up with some idea for how a frog will behave differently than a monkey, we now have a spawner for them. Mostly I just had an idea and wanted to see how it would turn out.

The map collision stuff was all so that I can start giving proper behaviors to the mobs. Now I have the means to support object avoidance and path finding. That may have to be tomorrow’s task, though.

7 Likes

Sweet :blush:

Whose dad develops games with his kids?
You seem to be a cool daddy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My son is mega interested in writing software, but is equally impatient. I’m probably the worst teacher in history, which doesn’t make things easier, so kudos for getting them to sit down for more than 10 minutes.

1 Like

How old is your son? There are a bunch of visual programming game making tool things around where you drag and drop ‘code components’ kind of like UML diagram.

1 Like

Well, it remains to be seen if anything will come of it. But I have to try.

My son is also impatient and easily distracted. When I was his age, I had little else to do but goof around on the computer or watch whatever my mom was watching on TV.

2 Likes

He’s 10 going on 15. I try not to push too much, though. It should be fun, after all.

1 Like

Yep, and I had no internet or games to play either so I got an html book into my hands.
The Experience of “dominating” Machines, making them work for you was awesome.

However Times changed and even as adult its hard to be focused at Work. But at least the Patience improved :joy:

1 Like

sure has, its way easier to get distracted now, I even have it on my tablet for drag and drop time time wasting goodness.

2 Likes

Monkeys spawning…

But here we see what happens when your collision object is a sphere and your physics contact resolver has not taken into account that you are effectively a 2D game…

Also, ignore the space ship. It’s left over from the sim-eth-es that I copied/pasted to start this and simply indicates where my “player” object is right now. Useful that it is visual and physical at the moment because I can use it to push the monkeys back in line (and they me).

12 Likes

Yeah… totally feels out of place next to your castle invaded by monkeys coming out of a giant banana… :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

When you play with the lightmaps but forgot about the rest of the objects without them…
(And yes, the players have a bad scale :sweat_smile:)

10 Likes

The parts of scene with lightmaps look very good :thumbsup:

1 Like

It looks better with the lightmaps rendered with Cycles, but it takes too much time so… for now they stay like that :grinning:

1 Like

5 days without any new screen shots from anyone…

Spent a few minutes fixing the ground collision stuff so that my hundreds of monkeys don’t end up partially in the ground. So of course I couldn’t help but post a screen shot of a shedload of monkeys.

This is a lot of monkeys:

12 Likes

Do I see an upcoming “Planet of the Monkeys” game in the works? :wink:

Wish I had screenshots to post - all my work is going into my project’s server right now. Hard to make a client without a server.

3 Likes

Slowly making progress here, I integrated nehon’s PBR and IBL into my clustered shading, also added shadows for a single directional light (i won’t need more shadow casting lights for my game).
At least now the need for a proper anti aliasing solution becomes more and more obvious (and unfortunately MSAA won’t cut it so I’ll have to get SMAA to work properly at some point, thankfully thetoucher started working on this at just the right time).

13 Likes

(took me a while to remember how to upload images)
Just messing around with blender and making the first portion of the map for my game. It took an hour to mark texture seam around the lake then was scratching my head as to why it wasn’t working, then I realised I did it wrong :chimpanzee_facepalm:

6 Likes

… it’s actually fun to play, go figure.

9 Likes

what’s that?

1 Like

A flying man surrounded by instanced trees, an isosurface and a skybox, @nehon

And yes, i did assume his gender.

1 Like