(April 2018) Monthly WIP & Screenshot thread

Native bullet or jbullet?

I think neither, there’s a special native-bullet-android lib.

I use "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-bullet-native-android:$jmeVersion" on both android and desktop. Preferably in parallel mode because it seems to be more consistent in rate (on android) - and behaves similarly.

Spent some time on texturing with Substance Painter… this tool is awesome.

A couple of stretching to fix on animations, but it’s mostly done.

21 Likes

That’s awesome work!

1 Like

Test run through first level of Skullstone’s mines. Only 11 minutes - it seems that whole level will take 1.5h. MOBS INCLUDED!

16 Likes

Jesus, that’s amazing.

I mean NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE get it away from meee.

Feels like something out of half life.

2 Likes

Half life 3 made with jMonkeyEngine 3 confirmed

5 Likes

awesome!

1 Like

Hi, great job !!!

a small question, to increase realism, would not it be interesting to converge objects thrown towards the center of the enemy? When the enemy is as small as the rat, in order to increase the realism, the object launched could move towards the center of the mesh?

Maybe in the future when everything else would be done I’ll spend some time on such things. Now it looks exactly like in classic blobbers.

I figure out the problems with the joysticks during recording, I was too lazy to make another video. Maybe the bigger problem here is the crappy wrote collision detection of the projectiles which slows down the server.

2 Likes

Having a bit of fun with bullet and touchscreen controls. It’s a bit hard to do 3D in 2D - but kinda works. I attach a cone joint to wherever I click/touch. the box that accompanies it is a massive object.

12 Likes

Hey, small tip: try reducing that car’s collider to a compound shape with two boxes - one for the hood and one for the body. The hull you’re using now looks like it has way too many vertices. When I switched a hull for a bunch of boxes in various projects it often ended up being like 10 times faster (in certain cases I suppose). May help with your mobile device performance.

Made a little more progress… fixed a bunch of nagging things. Finally moved the game systems (including physics) to a background thread so that I can shoot video with FRAPs again.

This video shows a bunch of random things. Steering and obstacle avoidance, waypoint walking, player control with a simple chase camera, animation that follows the motion of the mob… and finally, plasma bullets that impact with the environment and disappear.

Edit: I should probably point out that a couple of the debug states are enabled in this video including the nav waypoints debug and the contacts debug. You can see one point in the video where the mob walking around gets a bit stuck… I will need to come up with simpler collision shapes for the grate because it plays havoc with the obstacle avoidance having to sift through 100 contacts. This is also why the one plasma bullet stream slows down… the walker was back at that spot in the hall again.

Mostly the obstacle avoidance is pretty good. It’s easy to get them temporarily stuck with the power cubes but often they will still find a way to push through eventually.

The red cubes in the navigation graph debug view are nodes currently targeted by a mob… just one mob in this video… though having a few walking around is fun, too.

Edit 2: if I make another video, I’ll try to remember to toggle on/off some of the other debug states so you can see the sensor ghosts and stuff.

14 Likes

Made some (slow) progresses to my Tower Defence terrain generation and material.

15 Likes

Is that terrain PBR? Been looking around for a decent terrain PBR shader, but didnt find any that worked out of the box. I didn’t find the time yet to figure out why they didnt work or how to fix them.

When you say “terrain shader” - do you mean one that does tri-planar mapping? It’s not that hard to implement, though I haven’t dipped my toe in pbr yet.

1 Like

Well i Posted a long time ago a pbr Version of the shaders. So you could pick them and try out?

Yes, I did try that one and it crashed on glsl compilation for some reason I cant remember right now.

Yes.