Are there other tutorials for JME3?

Beside the beginners tutorials there are also intermediate articles and advanced documentation.
I personally found the beginners tutorials very useful and I sometimes come back and read them again. The online ones are IMO very detailed.

The jme official tuts are great, but jme lacks the variety of tutorials unity or unreal have. I started a series to hopefully fill the gap a little, but its still early and not very complete. feedback is always appreciated :slight_smile: mrugames.blogspot.com

Indeed the wiki pages leave out a lot of the advanced features, but you should be able to find the rest of the more specific stuff by searching right here on this very forum. If it happens to be an old thread with a broken googlecode link just bump it up or ask anew and a team of highly trained monkeys will be able to assist you.

And of course not forgetting just running and reading actual code.

Like the javadoc and source code?

1 Like

Why not try to make extremely simple games? Like a 2.5D Pong? It will ask of you much more than the basics, so you will practice your skills with jMonkey.

The javadoc isn’t very descriptive. I find myself searching more often in the source code than in the javadoc.

1 Like

here is a full example of an asteroids game:

Originally post about it:

…the googlecode links are broken but they were moved to the github link at the top.

This example uses an Entity System.

That’s going to be the problem with any real game is that it’s bound to have some additional add on code to make it work. JME is lower level than that… which is flexible… but you will likely add stuff to make a game (or use additional libraries). (I highly recommend Lemur, Zay-ES, SiO2, etc… but then I would because I wrote them. A lot of people use them, too, I guess.)

If you don’t want to use an ES then there are other game examples out there. Just search the forum.

Edit: note that there were also two books published on JME.

1 Like

So you know the first thing you can contribute when you get into the engine.

:wink:

First of, I need to deal with the source of my self-hatred, which is not finishing a god damn game. Then, I’ll make some efforts into improving jMonkey.

1 Like

You know normen you say this every time, but it’s kinda like this:

New guy: “I wish there were any schools I could go to.”

You: “Well when you finish college feel free to become a fucking teacher.”

Can’t have the egg without the chicken first.

So all the debate concerning what came first, i.e. the chicken or the egg, is now solved?

Yes, you heard it here first folks. :grin:

2 Likes

Corrected that for you.

…which would be true if no one was figuring it out from the current documentation. So apparently there is a whole group of chickens and they aren’t laying any eggs.

Sounds like you need to start collecting taxes then :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, as Paul said, either nobody is getting the engine at all or nobody is contributing the things they complain are missing. I think it’s the latter.

Money can’t write documentation either, it can do surprisingly few things.

Comparison of the blender development says otherwise

I asked my 10€ bill to write up some blender docs, didn’t work.

See, if anyone of the devs had the time to set up the account, bookkeeping, payment management and information transfer for paid documentation writers they’d use it to develop the engine or write javadoc.

It’s actually a shame that the excellent documentation that lots of work went into has to be defended at all. On top of that theres at least two available books, where the work put in was and is driven by money as you suggest.

Yes, you can criticize a lot about the engine, the docs and everything around it. But that isn’t productive at all because jME isn’t some product where the value is in how good it compares and sells on a market. The engine and everything around it is a product of people being excited about what they do - constant criticism is sure to dampen that excitement.

3 Likes

By the way, I bought the jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Cookbook a few months ago and I’m at 50% approximately. I like it so far. It was really useful to set up my old project with an FPS camera and special player inputs.

I’m sorry if what I said earlier sounded like criticism; I just wanted to say that I find it more useful half of the time to check the source code, mainly because I’m like him, i.e. I need to fully understand something to make a product of my creativity out of it.

In my Colony Simulation post, I described how my friend wasn’t fond of jME 3.1 and how I actually preferred this engine over overly huge engines like Unity or the Unreal Engine.

1 Like