(August 2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

I modified the engine to support opengl 4 based on this: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/support-for-geometry-and-tesselation-shaders-diff/

(I do have a current version of jMonkey with those changes, I can push it to github or make a pull request if there is interest)

3 Likes
@Perjin said: It's PBR (at least if I implemented it correct). The terrain is working similar to that gamasutra article, the grass is done with tesselation and geometry shaders.

Cool, i have still some slight geometry flickering on my tessellated terrain. Since i am curious, what do you tessellate on the grass?

I tessellate the terrain mesh to get more vertices, to generate more grass blades the closer the terrain is to the camera. Mostly because the geometry shader does get very slow whenever I’m creating many vertices with it.
And i do sample the grass texture the same way as in the terrain shader to make the grass blades spawn in the right place.
The terrain itself is currently not tessellated.

@Perjin said: I modified the engine to support opengl 4 based on this: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/support-for-geometry-and-tesselation-shaders-diff/

(I do have a current version of jMonkey with those changes, I can push it to github or make a pull request if there is interest)

Cool if it is not merged (or wont be), can you upload it on github or similar then i can merge it with my local version manually

@Perjin said: (I do have a current version of jMonkey with those changes, I can push it to github or make a pull request if there is interest)

This would be awesome.
Even if the code isn’t even merged into the engine, just looking at the code would be helpful.

Ah, I posted the updated patch here:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/support-for-geometry-and-tesselation-shaders-diff/page/6/#post-294862

(I’ll probably post the PBR shader as well some time, but it isn’t ready yet.)

1 Like

Hi, all! I thought I’d share what I’ve been using JME for recently. I’m working on a strategy / tower defense game. To start off, I’ve been building out the fundamental mechanics of the game… object placement, terrain, effects, etc. All of the models I’m using right now are just placeholders. Have a look… the video is a little choppy due to performance on my machine while recording the video.

[video]- YouTube

3 Likes

@monkeylover nice!
Is that me or, your character model looks like Cid in FF7?

@nehon Yep, it’s a Cid model. :slight_smile: I’m just using him as a placeholder model. I want my character model to be low poly like FF7 style.

My Ludum dare project

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=5426

1 Like
@monkeylover said: Hi, all! I thought I'd share what I've been using JME for recently. I'm working on a strategy / tower defense game. To start off, I've been building out the fundamental mechanics of the game... object placement, terrain, effects, etc. All of the models I'm using right now are just placeholders. Have a look... the video is a little choppy due to performance on my machine while recording the video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAQxjE5pqs4[/video]

Nice low poly graphics! Is that CID from Final Fantasy? :stuck_out_tongue: – EDIT: DOH! I just read the post after yours… stupid me haha! :wink:

@.Ben. Haha - yeah! All the models I’m using currently are placeholders. But, that’s generally how I want everything to look. Especially the low-poly aesthetic.

hehe Cid was my favourite, then Aeris <3

@wezrule – Oh yeah… Poor Aeris! I had so many hopes we could revive her afterwards and that she would be playable again during the game until I realized the PHOENIX DOWN was not working for this kind of death lol… too bad really.

yh :cry: R.I.P

We are currently working on shader based gras system for our game Drohtin. We still try to optimize the performance and the look.

4 Likes

Looks good! That’s quite a bunch of grass that you have in this scene.
As for looks: Maybe you could rotate the single grass objects in order to break the artificial appeareance?
Or maybe some small displacements.

1 Like
@m41q said: Looks good! That's quite a bunch of grass that you have in this scene. As for looks: Maybe you could rotate the single grass objects in order to break the artificial appeareance? Or maybe some small displacements.

Thx, yes it is very much grass. But this is just a stress for the system.
The rotation is a good idea, never though about that!
The displacements are already on my list and the system can already cover that issue. I just have to implement a nice algorithm to make good looking grass areas and non grass areas. We also want to use different textures.

just tried the rotation and it is way better!

3 Likes

Hello monthly screenshot champs! Working on anything cool these days? Whether it’s the same thing as it was back when this thread started or something brand new, however big or small, please consider sharing it for the 2015 jMonkeyEngine showcase video:

Keep the WIPs coming!