Best Approach to Map Making

Hello, I am trying to make a tile map like the kind you would find in any tactics game in JME. The issue that I’m currently facing is that I don’t know what the best way of going about it would be. My current method involves making a “Tile” class and a “TileMap” class. For now, the Tile class just has a field “Coordinates” that is supposed to be composed of an X and Y value to locate each tile on the map. My intention is to add a Plane field to tile to associate it with the coordinate pair field. At that point, TileMap would just be an array of Tiles. Another thought that occured to me was to add a Node field in TileMap, make the 2D array int TileMap into type Plane and add the Coordinates object directly to each plane in a for-loop. Which method would be more efficient?

Hi @RandomInsignia2

Before reinventing the wheel, you may want to take a look at this. I hope this helps.

@yan it will be nice to have TMXLoader on jmonkeystore. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll take a look at this project the next time I get the chance. :slight_smile:

And OpenKeeper is completely based on tiles. Although we do it pretty much the for loop way. So nothing really fancy. A bit of batching to the rendering to lessen the object count (tiles with the same material are fused together, jME feature) but that is it.

2 Likes

This project is outdated, I must update it to the latest TiledEditor 1.3.1:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like