as many people get desperate over the internal bullet character, which is just a simple implementation and doesn’t really work like the rest of the bullet physics I started creating a new “BetterCharacterControl” to counter some of the issues people have. This is something that can already be implemented but many people seem to struggle to do so hence I’ll implement it and also make it easily extensible.
- Capsule based character like the current character (no rotation per se)
- Based on a real RigidBody with actual normal gravity
- RigidBody is not affected by angular forces
- Uses a RayTest to check if its on the ground
- Can duck
- Uses ray test to see if it can unduck
- External physics forces get applied as normal with a selectable damping value for forces that are not in the gravity direction
- Has no strange settings like stepHeight, fallSpeed or any such nonsense
- If you combine this character with a RagDollControl you can have a character that will push away stuff with the rag doll and its animations but sill behave like a character and bounce into walls, fall etc. due to the capsule.
- Adapts to the gravity direction automatically and realigns itself (!)
This is actually impossible due to math The character will keep a local coordinate system and “z-forward” so you can gradually change the gravity and it will adapt its coordinate system and the player keeps sensible control over the character. As you see in the second video I can run around the planet while keeping the normal left/right/strafe controls all the time.
It’ll still take me some time to clean this up, add serialization etc. and make it available but as the character questions keep popping up (though they all have been answered already) I guess I thought I let you know whats cooking Available now in svn
Note: The jerky movement in the second video is due to the recording