CarGame - my game about cars

Wau! That’s very very good to know :slight_smile:. Thank you for your words, it’s pumped me up! I shall work on CarGame as much as I can, I promise. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello guys,
I have been working on my game for a long time, of course I have some breaks :smiley: that’s why it takes so long. I tried to improve old things and add new. Some of you helped me a lot, I want to say to you one big THANK! :facepunch:

Here is CarGame 0.1.3. Changelog:

• Opening image is from the game
  • Backround added
  • River
  • Edited control list
  • Inventory window added
  • Added head movement to walking player
  • Improved grabbing tool
  • Controling lifter by buttons on it
  • Working carparts shop
  • Garage menu added
  • Ability to tune cars with sport air filter from the shop
  • New job with moving boat
  • Fixed parkbrake, when cars were still moving a bit
  • Few little changes in the world
  • New car - Car8 Orange with useable trunk - driveable
  • Removed green Car2
  • New car - Car9 Green added but not driveable yet (might be?)
  • Car6 Blue has new wheels
  • Improved physics of cars
  • Changed fuel consuption of each car
  • For some cars were changed its power and weight
  • Reworked connecting trailer to Car1 Gray, now you have to be really exact
  • Saving bugs fixed
  • Wooden cotage with garage improved
  • Added new house which is under construction
  • Changed way getting out of the car

I hope that I wrote everything. If not, edit will come.
If you want to try the game, you can download it here.
And some pictures from CarGame.

Do you like it?

9 Likes

Looks quite nice, but did you consider adding shadows? I think it’d add quite a bit to your look.

1 Like

I did, even I was asking you for help :smiley: I couldn’t do it myself.

Whats wrong with just creating a DirectionalLightShadowFilter to a filterPostProcessor and adding it to your viewport?

1 Like

Do you think of these lines?

/* this shadow needs a directional light */
FilterPostProcessor fpp = new FilterPostProcessor(assetManager);
DirectionalLightShadowFilter dlsf = new DirectionalLightShadowFilter(assetManager, 1024, 2);
dlsf.setLight(sun);
fpp.addFilter(dlsf);
viewPort.addProcessor(fpp);

It doesn’t work in my case. Even if I set rootNode or each node to shadow mode cast and receive.
It worked year and something before, but it was bugging: Rendering shadows on the edges

I’m open to lesson about shadows, but no tutorial or whatever is wrote here didn’t work for me.

Try using directional light shadow renderer. Dlsf’s results were always a bit wonky.

1 Like

That was the DLSR in the second picture for sure, it has the surface z-fighting artefacts typical for it.

As far as the stock renderer goes there’s not much you can do to make it work better, aside from adjusting these values:

dlsr.setEnabledStabilization(true);
dlsr.setRenderBackFacesShadows(true);
dlsr.setEdgesThickness(10);
dlsr.setShadowZExtend(800);
dlsr.setShadowZFadeLength(100);
dlsr.setLambda(1f);
dlsr.getPreShadowForcedRenderState().setPolyOffset(6, 3);

(these are my presets, ymmv)

But mostly whatever you manage to set it to it will always have some errors, artefacts or wrong rendering. It’s just how it is. Trust me, I’ve messed around with it for a few years and had a handful of arguments of questionable civility with the guy who wrote it.

1 Like

Both results are a bit broken.
Here is what DLSR do with shadows:

Tried now MoffKalasts presets and it isn’t better. Well, someone of us should write new shadow renderer if we want nice shadows.

I rather won’t use any type of shadow for now.
Thank you for help.

For games like this, sometimes drop shadows might be ok. That’s what I call the type of shadow where there is just a darker oval on the ground underneath… something to give the objects presence instead of looking like they are floating around everywhere.

SimFX has a simple drop-shadow filter:

I creates an egg shaped shaded area underneath the object based on its bounding box. Essentially it does this for anything marked for shadow casting. You can thus even fool it for some objects by creating your own invisible box spatial and marking that to cast instead of the object. Though often the defaults work pretty well.

It works especially well when objects will only rotate around the y axis.

It’s producing the shadows in this picture:

…which is why the shadows aren’t giant ugly streaks down the side of the mountain.

Edit: another example of drop shadows in a more ‘real’ scene:

1 Like

Ooh… a comparison shot even:

Regular shadows:

Drop shadows:

Like two totally different styles of game with just different shadow types.

1 Like

Very nice shadow filter. I will try to use it.

The windows executable doesn’t work on my machine because it can’t find the installed JRE, which is for Java 9. However, directly executing the .jar works.

By the way, the controls are really frustrating :confused:

Anyway, good job for having a game that works!

1 Like

I have met this problem on few machines but haven’t fixed it yet.

Come, tell me what is frustrating for you. I can change it.

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What actually amazes me most is that despite the low poly style I can see what reallife cars they represent :smiley: All 80-90s goodnesses. The green is probably the most obvious, espcially the rims are always nice :smiley:

3 Likes

First of all, I didn’t know how to make the car accelerate. I tried with the classic WASD and it didn’t work. After that, I tried as many keyboard keys as possible to try just to move forward, but in vain. However, while pressing random keys, I exited the car. If I remember correctly, rotating the FPS camera on the yaw and pitch axes is done independently with one of the mouse’s axis and two keys. I mean, that really shouldn’t be the case. The yaw and pitch axes should rotation according to the X and Y mouse movement axes.

Also, a game menu that can show all key bindings would be really nice but I guess this is more when the game is almost finished :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m really, really delighted :blush:. I have few more cars in my head. Some from east and maybe some van or utility car. You will see!

You first have to unbrake the car with Q key and then use WASD for control. Yes, I know it’s a bit strange, but it simulates reality. You just have to read the control list before you do anything :smiley:

I do not understand what you mean with camera. I used ChaseCamera, it rotates according to mouse movement.

Also, a game menu that can show all key bindings would be really nice but I guess this is more when the game is almost finished :stuck_out_tongue:

Look, I use screen resolution of 1600x1200, so if all the list of controls is showing on my screen, on the monitor with 1920x1080 res, you won’t read few last lines. I didn’t find out how to create the list with scroling bar, so my game use only what I can do.

lol

Have you tried, I dunno, scaling the list by resolution like the rest of the gui?

1 Like

Nope, I don’t know something like this exist :joy:

Reviving this topic. Hope nobody will be hurt.
Still missing shadows and proper lightning…

4 Likes