Change jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0 overall theme

I downloaded jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0 and was able to change the code color theme, but I’m finding it difficult to change the color of the rest of the app (projects, properties, output etc…). I’ve searched the forums and this question has been answered before but none of them are very clear. I’ve downloaded and installed plugins but there’s no way to activate them. I’ve searched the settings for Look and Feel but there’s only one checkbox that doesn’t seem to do anything. I’ve looked for a file that I’m supposed to add a line of code to, but I can’t find it. I’ve tried to install ez-on-da-ice and Darcula themes but I get errors with both, and the Dark Nimbus Theme that comes with jMonkey is installed but not working for some reason. I’ve restarted my computer a few times and I’m about out of ideas.

2017-02-11_2147 (Change the white color to something easier on the eyes)

I would think it’d be a simple one-click thing after downloading, but apparently there is much more to it. I must have tried a dozen different things and none of them worked. Can someone please explain in detail how to change the UI theme?

Many thanks!

Edit : I found a working version of the ez-on-da-ice theme and a plugin called Dynamic Look and Feel Changer, but now I can’t activate the theme using this plugin. 2017-02-11_2226

Well you should be able to change between the look and feels in the settings menu.
Or you could download the sdk 3.1

I downloaded the latest build 3.1 (unstable) and it has a dark theme by default but now I’m wondering what the trade-off is between the stable and unstable builds. What potential problems might I run into by using the unstable build?

3.1 is notoriously more stable than 3.0. So I think you’re safe to use 3.1.

The unstable version is more stable than the stable version?

Does it matter which 3.1 build I download? I got the latest one (Nov 27th, 2016)

That’s the one I’m using currently.

Be carefull. Still do not working with particular Intel “build in” graphic cards. Dat’s why i still forced to use 3.0

Well, I remember having serious rendering problems with 3.0 on my built-in Intel card. Normal mapped objects just looked smooth-as-a-baby’s-backside. With 3.1, I get great normal mapped objects that look contoured (as they should look), with brightness and specular and all the other goodies.

Here are my current Intel Card specs that I’m using with 3.1

INFO: LWJGL 2.9.3 context running on thread jME3 Main
 * Graphics Adapter: igdumdim64
 * Driver Version: 10.18.15.4248
 * Scaling Factor: 1
Feb 14, 2017 12:42:22 PM com.jme3.renderer.opengl.GLRenderer loadCapabilitiesCommon
INFO: OpenGL Renderer Information
 * Vendor: Intel
 * Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
 * OpenGL Version: 4.3.0 - Build 10.18.15.4248
 * GLSL Version: 4.30 - Build 10.18.15.4248
 * Profile: Compatibility

As you can see, it’s not a hot-shot new intel card. Its only a 4400 and it works fine. No comparison to the problems I had with 3.0 on a similar card.

Of course, it may have had to do with the intel driver at that time, and nothing to do with jME.

Yeah, at this point the only good reasons to use 3.0 are:

1. if you still require an OpenGL version pre-shaders.
  2. If you’ve filed a bug against 3.1 and are waiting patiently for a fix.

Else, you are using 3.0 for bad reasons.

Thanks everyone! 3.1 looks like the way to go.