Character Animation from Maya => Collada or md5 ? and how?

Hi, i try to explain my problem even if i’m not so good in english, hope it will be clear.

Well i’m using maya 8 and i create and animate characters for a java game, i work with a programmer who take the java programming part and i export for him models he needs for this…

we are just began to work with jme as we think it could be the best API for what we want…

My problem is :

it’s impossible for me to export my animations bones, meshes in collada and even not in md5 (as i think they are the only ways for exporting animations) the only thing that we could export and view in jme viewer is just meshes, bones or animations are totally ignored, so i wanted to try to export in md5, but my files .md5mesh and .md5anime are both files who countain almost nothing and they could not be viewed also.

concerning md5 i tried to look for md5 reader 2 but all links point to md5Fellow who is made for blender (and i use maya)

concerning collada i was desperately looking for a way to export my work even with something too simple and i get always the same problem (bones and animations would not work)

i tried even to look for feeling viewer as i seen in a tutorial how to import a rigged animation from maya to 3dsMax but i didn’t find the link anywhere in the net  :?  and ther’s too many links who are not here anymore  :expressionless:

so i don’t even know how to do :confused:

my “question” is : How to export a complete character animation from Maya to jme ??? 

is there any tutorials to explain from the beginning to the end with all links possible ?

or at least is there any other people in here who already exported any animed character in there from maya ?

is it possible to export meshes, bones, animations in separate files ? and if so the how ?

please i need help since i don’t find answer to my questions anywhere on the net so hope to get some help from you !

check the wiki page http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=md5

theres a link to the official md5 format wiki which has a maya exporter on it.

thank's for the link but that doesnt help :confused:

i already visited those links, and all points to md5Fellow and not md5Reader

is there any direct link for it? 

or if md5 is the only one for animations, what about collada ?

bladesquad said:

thank's for the link but that doesnt help :/

i already visited those links, and all points to md5Fellow and not md5Reader

is there any direct link for it? 

or if md5 is the only one for animations, what about collada ?

collada doesnt work unless u have ncsoft in house exporter.
for skeletal animation theres only 2 working ones right now. the original md5reader and my md5importer
neakor said:

doesn't work unless your exporter uses the same part of the collada spec as the ncsoft exporter. 
renanse said:

neakor said:

doesn't work unless your exporter uses the same part of the collada spec as the ncsoft exporter.   

yes more precise this way. thx for making this clear.

i could now export in md5 but now i have another problem :confused:

i only can export my animation and mesh when i animate bones without any manipulators or fbik (only ik skeleton), and when i setup this one and try to animate, nothing happend.

so is there any way to use manipulators and get my animation ?

my question is especially for person who export in this way i just wanna know how they do to export in md5 ?

thank's for answer

thats not a problem we can work on. it really depends on the exporting script u r using.

from my experience, max/blender to md5 works the best using der_ton's exporter. the maya to md5 exporter works, but it seems like it is very strict about the model which makes it very hard to work with.

both of these exporters dont allow manipulators or any sort of controllers at all. as said in the readme file comes with the exporter, there shouldnt even be any grouping when u r about to export the model.

i have just added in a new feature called dependent child which makes exporting pieces of armor relatively easy. this feature allows u not to worry about seperating bones for each piece of the armor. u can do all the modeling on one complete skeleton then just export each piece with the complete skeleton all together. then use the attchDependent() method in ModelNode. that will take care of the extra bone information so no memory is wasted.

MD5 format do not support exporting manipulators. The cause, then, is not the exporters or importers, they simply respect specifications.

To export correctly a MD5 animation you have to follow the instructions in der_ton’s blender exporter. Though, generally you have to register your keyframes for all the bones that are actually involved in any transformations and then bake the whole animation, that means converting interpolated frames into keyframes. After that you simply export the animation.

Manipulators like IK effectors are not supported by either Doom 3 and Quake 4. Both the games based on Doom 3 engine and consequently MD5 format. Here there are complete informations about ID engine modding and MD5 format, plus some articles about modelling arts and characters for Quake 4 and Doom 3 engine http://www.iddevnet.com/.