Contemplating new site design – We need a PHP/WordPress developer

Ever since WooThemes released their Canvas BuddyPress theme, we’ve been slowly preparing for a hub.jmonkeyengine.org theme overhaul (I pre-purchased the theme some time ago). We’ve done pretty extensive testing leading to several bugs fixed by the Woo developers, yet a few custom tweaks remain that are not covered by WooThemes’ support policy.

If any one of our fellow monkeys out there has a fair share of experience with WordPress and PHP development, we should talk :wink: PM me or send a mail to contact-at-jmonkeyengine-dot-com

The tasks at hand are described in some more detail in our contributor’s handbook. Make special note of the “BP Rate Posts” task, as that is really the #1 showstopper.

I have a friend of my who can do some web development stuff. I told him about this website, and he is curious. Should I invite him to this forum? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind helping out with things like this but i try to stay as far away from PHP as possible.

Also i’m not very experienced :wink:

You’re asking a bunch of Java developers for PHP help?

Why don’t you guys move to a Java platform? Liferay is good.

Actually I always wonderd why jmonkey.org is not running on some serious JEE server :wink: (Also I personally hate php ^^)

No good and continuously developed java CMS out there… And PHP definitely is easier to modify and extend :stuck_out_tongue: Actually the api of wordpress and buddypress is quite the joy to work with.

joomla and drupal are best ones. I think it would be better to ask there too. I mean their forums.

No, we will stick with wp/bp, thats out of question I guess, I was just talking about PHP or J2EE in general. If you write the software yourself I’d go with J2EE any time, if you use others software and might want to extend it… Well PHP makes it very easy :wink:

normen said:
No good and continuously developed java CMS out there.. And PHP definitely is easier to modify and extend :P Actually the api of wordpress and buddypress is quite the joy to work with.

http://www.liferay.com/tutorials/powerpoint/LiferayCMS4Dummies

There are various reasons, like unified login, integrated search, extensibility, familiarity and so forth. There’s a lot left to be desired, especially since BuddyPress got stuck in an unexpected hiatus for a while, but the WordPress ecosystem is finally starting to look very powerful again.

WordPress seems unbeatable in one area: Search engine optimization. Google enjoys indexing our all-in-one CMS, which in turn has given us a lot of new visitors from general searches.

We’ll stick with WordPress+BuddyPress for the foreseeable future, there is no way around that. Focus is on jME3 beta/stable now. I always appreciate suggestions and heads up on unknown open source projects, but the most useful suggestions right now would be ways to improve the site as-is. I can’t promise quick turnover, but I can always tell you what parts of the website are bound to change/improve through the course of the year.

Actually, I like the site as it is. I just have a problem with getting notifications via email, particularly of new messages.

Oh, except a FAQ and more tutorials would be nice.

FAQ: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:intermediate:api_feature_mapping

Tutorials: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3#tutorials_for_beginners

normen said:
FAQ: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:intermediate:api_feature_mapping

That's a "How-To", not a FAQ.

normen said:
Tutorials: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3#tutorials_for_beginners

Those are pretty bare-boned. I'll explain:

There's a tutorial on input and one on picking. Ok, so now I know how to get a mouse event, but I don't know how to translate the screen coordinates to 3D space. That's pretty basic for a lot of games, and I imagine most of the developers here, even ones experienced in Java, don't have a lot of knowledge of these basic techniques.

Fortunately this one was easy for me to find in the forums, but it would be great if there were more tutorials.

And a true FAQ.....

But you know what would be really awesome? If all the documentation were in Powerpoint or Excel.
scottmcmasters said:
That's a "How-To", not a FAQ.
Fortunately this one was easy for me to find in the forums, but it would be great if there were more tutorials.
And a true FAQ.....
But you know what would be really awesome? If all the documentation were in Powerpoint or Excel.

Its a FAQ in the sense that we add stuff there that people keep asking repeatedly, sort of a map of the things one might want to do as you suggested. Its impossible to cover everything one might want to do with the engine simply because the possibilities are so vast.
"Basic" knowledge about game development fills books that are being sold by people because they contain lots of work by the authors. I challenge you to show me a free and open source game engine with better documentation and more tutorials than jme.
Also, given all your complaints and talks about "basic things" you found out through the forum.. I don't have to send you a link to the description of "wiki" on wikipedia do I? You are not the first to complain about something not being in the wiki and you wont be the last not adding that info to it when you got it. And the last point is a joke right?

No, no, I don’t need a link to Wikipedia for “wiki”, but a link to the jMonkey Wiki would be great, because it sure as shit isn’t in the menus up there.

And if I add something to this Wiki, will anyone else be able to find it?

Try clicking on “Documentation”, alternatively you can hover your mouse over “Introduction” and read the “Site Manual”.

Ah, I see, so this isn’t working either:

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/introduction/website-manual/#How-to-edit-a-page

Are you using Internet Explorer pre-8 ?

No, I’m in the latest Chrome.

I’m sorry I’m being a bit caustic; I’m frustrated. I do appreciate jMonkey and all the work you guys have done. It’s saved me a lot of time. I want to help out.