(December 2015) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

SP is the real deal… I can’t think of texturing a model without it now. not only she will make better textures, but she will make them a lot faster.

1 Like

The tricky part we face the UV unwrap that cause stretching here and there, does it provide a solution to that, or the model should be unwrapped properly

EDIT: I am not sure if it is stupid question or not, but I think it is stupid, I can not figure a way if any tool can make anything useful without proper unwrapping.

The best part with SP is that it’s capable of adapting the texture even if the UV have changed.
That means that for example, you can make your model, unwrap its uvs the most basic way (like making no seams and ask blender to split according to the faces angle). Import your model in SP, start to paint… then later come bak to your model, make seams, make a proper uv unwrap with efficent texture space usage, reimport your model in SP, and it’s going to recompute the texture, over the new UVs, according to the old UVs.
see this video Substance Painter 1.0: UV Reprojection - YouTube

That’s really powerful.

Though it’s a bit off topic to this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If you know where to place the seams in Blender you are half-done.
There is a tool which can “reduce UV stretch” (at least the versions I worked with had it out-of-the-box).
What it does is explained simple: It runs several iterations of a spring-force-simulation. You can watch the UV editor while the iterations go from 1st until around 100th iteration and the stretch is getting better with every iteration until all spring forces are relaxed and the stretch won’t change for more than 1 texture pixel anymore.
I used this a lot with Blender 2.6
The main problem is, that you will at least need to place the seams in a clever way.
I went a bit further in older works and arranged the UV map and size of UV triangles myself.
For hard surfaces that’s still the way to go (for me) because it gives you many advantages.
For organic surfaces you can use seams and unwrap all automatically.
Manually editing UV has advantage like controling how many “2d texture pixels per 3d world unit”.

Wow … that information was golden. Even though I rarely change UV maps after model is done.

First of all, thanks, I feel humbled knowing that people appreciate the information I provide. Second, no, unfortunately I do not have a blog. However I have been thinking about maybe setting something up around the game I’m working on for us to share some of the techniques we’ve used.

I’m super keen on making a small demo game using the PBR stuff later on though.

the thread about WIP snapshots, those things going to make them better :wink:, so it is related

@Ogli
Very interesting, I am going to check it today.

it is useful, if you work agile, you can make a quick models to work with as developer looking just fine, then leave ur graphics designer struggle with fine tuning.

Substance painter looks awesome, perhaps Blender will get something similarly powerful in some years. I’ve been struggling to make textures in gimp for a while and have since ended up using Photos and making textures out of them.

I like using photos since you can convert them into a normal map and they give pretty decent results considering how little work is required. (My pc cannot handle sculpting, Blender view port grinds to a halt)

Is substance painter friendly to those who struggle with 2d art? It’s really frustrating feeling like I can model anything in 3d but not texture it.

2 Likes

We use Lenovo flex 2 intel i5, with intel graphics card, scuplting works, it is just fine machine not a great one so not sure of the specs of your machine it might something wrong in the version or build u use . we use blender 2.76,

EDIT: your model is very cute :smile:, I have not an artist critical eye , but I am not comfortable with the shoe, I feel something not right there. I hope she is the primary character of ur game :wink:

I look at the updates and what do I see … 2.76

View-port: The ongoing view-port project brought a big performance boost.

I’ve been making renderings for game backgrounds, my Titanic 1st class lounge is 9mil triangles atm, not sure this will help for that :smiley:

we use it with hi-poly makehuman model, to polish the face and give depth to the mustache and low poly hair and eyebrows, it is around 30,000 only.