(December 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

Oh, that’s what it is! And I had to resort to FRAPS to get the framerate :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I can do this properly.

Yeah but i doubt that such a large volume can ever go to sleep since there will always be some forces acting on something.

What about doing a realtime water stream/bucket dumping simulation in mythruna, with balls and a mesh that tries to fit the balls’ locations best? That would be dope. And possibly bring tons of lag. :smile:

2 Likes

Well, in theory they could eventually settle but elasticity in the math sometimes prevents it as the outside becomes cool enough to create a sort of border. Still, it’s funny how sometimes dropping a big bomb in the middle can cause every thing to cool down. Sometimes it’s just fun to see where I’d have to relieve pressure.

The plan is to use some number of balls to find out where the water would go and then simulate that with more static structures (like the waterfalls I’ve posted before). Or just to find the paths of the rivers and help guide erosion to make the river beds and so on. Figure where you want a water source, simulate a hundred dropped water balls and watch where they go. Lower terrain, repeat a few times.

But yeah, it may be too slow in the end.

And by the way, the fact that the whole simulation doesn’t explode and send objects into NaN-land is also very encouraging. :slight_smile: The velocity limits must be working.

3 Likes

This is really cool pspeed. Regarding the demo - is there a way I can limit the framerate? I have 3k fps on startup, vsync isn’t having any effect and I basically can’t see any of the physics lol, it happens almost instantly.

Yeah, get vsynch working. :wink:

It’s just a demo so I didn’t do anything fancy and I use fixed time steps because that’s what my game will do… so if you can’t either limit the refresh or turn on vsync then I’m afraid you are out of luck for now. Sorry.

Though, seriously you should figure out why vsync doesn’t work because that’s kind of a big problem to me.

11 Likes

I had Nvidia 3d settings forcing it off at all times. Works now.

I tried to break your demo but it ran perfectly with no issues :frowning:

Some nice “In the middle of Air” effects :wink:

Not sure how you got those floating like that. Very strange. The stacked balls is pretty easy to do, though.

Create stack balls then shoot the ball at the bottom away, now you have the top ball floating :wink:

Shooting at the floating ball awaken it’s physic and it drops on ground like before.

Yeah, alright… so it’s because of the perfect setup. In the real game it would be pretty impossible to have objects so perfectly balanced. Cool trick, though.

@pspeed
One question, Does your physics engine work integrated with IsoSurface terrain library ?

It could… if one were to implement the world collider.

1 Like

I haven’t been doing much except for bugfixing lately, but I have a new trailer in the works:

I’d say it’s about 90% done. Any suggestions? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:

Some changes:

17 Likes

Like how pretty impossible it would be for 2 players to find each other in No Mans Sky =P

2 Likes

Like pretty impossible meaning there are no round things in Mythruna anyway, so getting something to balance on a point like that is not possible… let alone the dexterity it would require to place the objects on top of each other so perfectly that their x,z coordinates match exactly, rotation exact, etc… else it’s a really small possibility (like winning the lottery small) that moving the lower object wouldn’t disturb the upper one… since they are probably already interpenetrating slightly anyway.

Only the spheres can be so perfect.

And at any rate, there will be other ways to get the physics to do strange things, I’m sure. Even in Skyrim I’ve seen the physics do some totally ridiculous bonkers stuff… I love it every time. Makes me feel better.

I really like it so far. Well done. :ok_hand:
I noticed you start with a quite expressive background music … maybe you could try to start a little calmer and suddenly you start with a fight scene and that is where the expressive music should come into play. I am not sure if this is better but when you have got time I would be really interested in the result. Maybe it is worth it to try it out :smiley:
Greetings Domenic

1 Like

Fire + Smoke Shaders

HQer video

12 Likes

The smoke looks really nice… fire just ok. One of the better particle fires I’ve seen at least.

Edit: which reminds me I should probably add my flame shaders to SimFX at some point.

Fire is so GD hard… sooo many parameters to tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak