DepthOfField and Near blur

Hey there,

is it the expected behavior that the jme 2.0 integrated DepthOfField does not do near blurring like shown (in extreme):

TestDepthOfField with

dofPass.setFocalPlaneDepth(50);
            dofPass.setNearBlurDepth(30);
            dofPass.setFarBlurDepth(100);

does not do that near blurring.
timong said:

Writing a near blur would require a more detailed depth texture painting probably using two different colors for near blur transient parts and for the further part - or even more shaders?

Thanks for the answers but I dont see why that would be the case, since the depth texture should hold all the information needed for the near blur.  And if i read the shader correctly it is also meant to do near blur, theres just something going wrong along the way. also one can see that the depth is also readable and comparable with the dofParams ...

if (depth < dofParams.y)
   {
      // scale depth value between near blur distance and focal distance to
      // [-1, 0] range
      f = (depth - dofParams.y) / (dofParams.y - dofParams.x);
   }
   else
   {
      // scale depth value between focal distance and far blur distance to
      // [0, 1] range
      f = (depth - dofParams.y) / (dofParams.z - dofParams.y);
      // clamp the far blur to a maximum blurriness
      f = clamp(f, 0.0, dofParams.w);
   }

This kind of blur requires different blur radius or # of samples at each pixel. It is possible to implement but will probably be slower or require more powerful hardware than the current DoF. I am planning to implement the advanced DoF method in jME3 once the post-processing system is finished.

hey there momoko, another commercial is it?  :wink:

i do not mean the blur quality itself, which is quite nice in the pic above btw, i just mean that the blur also has to occur between the focal plane and the camera. This can only be a matter of quick rewrite of the shader isn’t it? And it shouldn’t be any slower, since the pixels are processed anyway. Am I wrong?  :|

Mr. Coders example seemed to have it: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=2663.msg20203#msg20203 if you look at the very tip of the edge its already getting blurred again.

dhdd said:

hey there momoko, another commercial is it?  :wink:

i do not mean the blur quality itself, which is quite nice in the pic above btw, i just mean that the blur also has to occur between the focal plane and the camera. This can only be a matter of quick rewrite of the shader isn't it? And it shouldn't be any slower, since the pixels are processed anyway. Am I wrong?  :|

Mr. Coders example seemed to have it: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=2663.msg20203#msg20203 if you look at the very tip of the edge its already getting blurred again.

What do you mean the blur doesn't happen between the focal plane & camera? Are you saying the DoF shader only works on objects farther from the focal plane? I have never really seen the jME DoF in action so I can't tell.
Momoko_Fan said:

Are you saying the DoF shader only works on objects farther from the focal plane?

Exactly. Either I do something wrong with the values shown above or noone has ever noticed that bug. Can we fix it in jme 2.0?
hvgopal said:

In optics, particularly as relates to film and photography, the depth of field (DOF) is the portion of a scene that appears sharp in the image. Although a lens can precisely focus at only one distance, the decrease in sharpness is gradual on either side of the focused distance, so that within the DOF, the unsharpness is imperceptible under normal viewing conditions.

aehmmm ... thx? ... but not what we're discussing here.

There's no near blur in the current implementation of it, that's true (I wrote the shaders based on MrCoder's advice). Writing a near blur would require a more detailed depth texture painting probably using two different colors for near blur transient parts and for the further part - or even more shaders? It's a bit more complicated I guess than the current version to implement near blur withouth 'bleeding' and such problems.

I was trying to say that if you dont color it differently the further blurred parts will bleed into nearer blurred parts. When you have clear parts between those (the focused part) it will look strange when you see blurred together patches of near and far objects and between them clear parts of other objects in the focused part. I hope you can get what im saying. :slight_smile: Probably it isnt a problem, I'm just wondering how its done in the full reference implementations.

PS:Also you need to blur parts that are closer in Z to avoid the basic bleeding of non blurred parts to blurred.  (that's already in the shaders)

nothing special in that old dof. draw a fullscreen quad with the backbuffer texture. using the poisson disk blur (used in the bloom), vary the sample size for each pixel using the difference in z depth and a focal distance (add optional near/far range calcs). each sample also needs to be checked in z diff to prevent bleeding.

looks ok. performance wise, it can be optimized…

MrCoder said:

nothing special in that old dof. draw a fullscreen quad with the backbuffer texture. using the poisson disk blur (used in the bloom), vary the sample size for each pixel using the difference in z depth and a focal distance (add optional near/far range calcs). each sample also needs to be checked in z diff to prevent bleeding.
looks ok. performance wise, it can be optimized...

thanks mr. coder. i thought it must be easier, at least as far as i understand shaders. unfortunately, i am really bad witht he shader details. is someone up for implementing it?
dhdd said:

MrCoder said:

looks ok. performance wise, it can be optimized...

thanks mr. coder. i thought it must be easier, at least as far as i understand shaders. unfortunately, i am really bad witht he shader details. is someone up for implementing it?

That's already what's in the SVN. The problem is, it doesnt do the near blur part. For that to happen depth texture shader and the blur shader have to be tweaked. I guess an easy way would be to change blur shader to use a custom value where things supposed to be focused, not the 0 value. That way a simple grayscale [black -> white] is enough for near/far blur.