Did it died?

Yeah, terrible English in the title of this post but I just couldn’t get that meme sort of thing out of my head without throwing it out here :wink:

Anyhow, did it? Seems a bit quiet around here for a while, other than a few questions that are barely related to the project itself I see a sudden drop in posting since 3 months 3 weeks ago. I think the game had potential as a remake and showcase of the engine, so what’s going on, are the people working quietly using a secret chat channel?

Why do I ask? Well, a while ago I signed up for project Sector 50DA which died not long after that, I had little contact with the other people but for me the reason I pretty much dropped out right away was an unexpected sudden overkill of work for my courses. Seeing I have loads of free time now (holiday time and no trips planned as of now) I got an itching feeling that says: Model stuff. Any stuff. And I have no clue what exactly.

Sooooo… if this project is still going, and if so perhaps I can do a few models? Preferably prefab stuff, such as fences, walkways, stairs, crates, walls, the like. Also, a mechanical object such as that hover tank could work for me. Now I’m not much of a creative artist to come up with grand new types of vehicles and not much of a drawer either, so pointers or images on what stuff to make and what it should look like would help a lot. I’m pretty experienced using Blender and have a strong feeling for creating low poly objects while keeping the visual differences neglectible, I consider it a kind of puzzle to get rid of pointless vertices ;). I can also do UV-Mapping and texturing as long as the textures are provided (which I assume can be done using free textures on the internet) using the Gimp, although I am not an expert doing that, so best case scenario would be to have someone else working with me on that part.

So, waiting for a reply on this =] Cya!

Yeah, the MonkeyZone game of the core is not much updated because they have prior things to do. I’m interested to contribute with the game too, a few weeks ago i created i hovercreaft model for the game, but i didn’t like of the result, and the image reference that i was inspired was find in google. Then i decided to learn how to draw concept arts to create the models, and at the moment i’m learning how to draw vehicles. So soon i’m going to contribute with concept arts so we can start the modeling process ;).

The project is still there and planned to be as described, mostly its used as reference code at the moment, thats why you see all sorts of questions around it. Contributions are certainly welcome as we still want to make this a good showcase project thats also supposed to give off some nice screens and video shots… Thats why especially the models and their data are easily swappable / extensible. But as glauco said, theres lots of things to do around jME and as I am basically the only coder in this project work that goes into jme blocks this games progress :wink:

Well I have taken a look at the code a while ago and as far as I remember it was pretty neat, a lot cleaner than what I’m used to (see and create). I can also play around with that a bit, I prefer adding stuff to something with a vision than my usual approach of ‘add stuff to a random game until I run out of ideas’.

Perhaps I should fiddle around with the code a bit first then, I may as well create game content on the go whenever I add features to the code. That is, if you allow me to of course :stuck_out_tongue: I’m guessing I need special svn acces to commit and such?

2 Likes

Cool. Yeah, just send me your googlecode mail when you want to commit something, just make sure to checkout via https so you can commit later.

Hmmm, trying to start a just pulled down trunk server + client results in these errors:

Server:

[java]java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme3.material.Material.read(Material.java:1034)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.readObject(BinaryImporter.java:350)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.readSavable(BinaryInputCapsule.java:458)

at com.jme3.scene.Geometry.read(Geometry.java:435)[/java]

Client:

[java]java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme3.material.Material.read(Material.java:1034)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.readSavable(BinaryInputCapsule.java:458)

at com.jme3.scene.Geometry.read(Geometry.java:435)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.resolveIDs(BinaryInputCapsule.java:484)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.readSavableArray(BinaryInputCapsule.java:472)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.readSavableArrayList(BinaryInputCapsule.java:588)

at com.jme3.scene.Node.read(Node.java:599)

at com.jme3.bullet.collision.PhysicsCollisionObject.read(PhysicsCollisionObject.java:287)

at com.jme3.bullet.objects.PhysicsRigidBody.read(PhysicsRigidBody.java:685)

at com.jme3.bullet.objects.PhysicsVehicle.read(PhysicsVehicle.java:546)

at com.jme3.bullet.control.VehicleControl.read(VehicleControl.java:263)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.resolveIDs(BinaryInputCapsule.java:484)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.readSavableArray(BinaryInputCapsule.java:472)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryInputCapsule.readSavableArrayList(BinaryInputCapsule.java:588)

at com.jme3.scene.Spatial.read(Spatial.java:1271)

at com.jme3.scene.Node.read(Node.java:609)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:257)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:140)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:130)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:240)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:373)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:383)

at com.jme3.monkeyzone.WorldManager.preloadModels(WorldManager.java:236)

at com.jme3.monkeyzone.ClientMain$6.run(ClientMain.java:362)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)[/java]

It appears to be a problem with some material and it points to:

[java]additionalState.setWireframe(true);[/java]

This nullPointer makes little sense at this point to me, any suggestion from previous encounters with this error or shall I delve deeper into this myself? I suppose it has to do with some changes in jME3 lately, so perhaps you know what’s going on here in a single minute.

Does It might be the material is null? Try to run the project in debug mode to find what’s comming null.

Fixed in SVN. It was just a small issue.

Nah, it’s this:

[java]additionalState == null[/java]

While before that the code states:

[java]additionalState = (RenderState) ic.readSavable(“render_state”, null);[/java]

Edit:

Oh haha, sniped by @momokofan. I’ll try again, thanks :wink:

If you’re eager to make some assets, it would be great if you could lend @Kaelthas a hand while you’re at it, by making him some Blender test assets for the Blender Loader. You could probably reuse some of your work.

Great initiative, I’ll come back to this topic shortly.

@Momoko_Fan:

Your update did the trick, thanks!

@erlend_sh:

That’s possible I think, though from that post I got a bit confused about the test cases (constraints appear in many, many places in blender having different functions), so I may have to look into that for a bit then.

Anyhow, about the MonkeyZone code itself, I am still troubled by some errors that appear when testing the game:

Left mouse (shoot?) results in:

[java]SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme3.audio.AudioNode.updateGeometricState(AudioNode.java:641)

at com.jme3.scene.Node.updateGeometricState(Node.java:177)

at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.update(SimpleApplication.java:258)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.runLoop(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:144)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.runLoop(LwjglDisplay.java:185)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:218)

Which got the game crashing right away while playing a nice BOOM sound ironically enough.

And this one keeps showing up as well:

[java]SEVERE: Exception

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme3.monkeyzone.ClientMain$2.call(ClientMain.java:219)

at com.jme3.monkeyzone.ClientMain$2.call(ClientMain.java:213)

at com.jme3.app.AppTask.invoke(AppTask.java:147)

at com.jme3.app.Application.update(Application.java:553)

at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.update(SimpleApplication.java:235)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.runLoop(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:144)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.runLoop(LwjglDisplay.java:185)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:218)

It appears the second one is just about updating the list of players on a panel and does not crash the game as a whole, but the first one cries about a geometric state update and does crash it. Are these errors known? I suppose they are leftovers from changes in the engine code, so perhaps one of you has a brilliant idea right away for what single line fix would do :stuck_out_tongue:

AudioNode – ask @Momoko_Fan, he broke serialization of AudioNodes… As a workaround you could remove the playEffect command in the WorldManager… Second might be due to changes in Nifty, the player list never worked properly tho. Atm I am not very often with my laptop (holidays) so I cant look into this right now.

Did that locally norman, worked fine indeed. I’ll keep that for a while.

I’ll just keep that bit of UI code until it gets in my way, may comment it later on then. Thanks for the info.

I fixed some broken niftygui references in jMP.

I have fixed AudioNode in SVN. It now no longer requires an AudioRenderer on constructor or otherwise.

Well, another bunch of troubles now :stuck_out_tongue:

@normen You fixed some references? Now I had to relocate the nifty libs myself in MZ, I’m not the best one about that so I added them myself but they appear as absolute paths now, could htis become a problem?

Second, if I want to open ClientUI.xml jMP freezes:

The screen that should display what the gui looks like shows up as gray, and a popup appears: Error in scene! java.lang.NullPointerException.

Well I want to edit the file but the behaviour of trying to open it in a scene viewer and blocking me from doing anything after that doesn’t seem to be wanted behaviour :stuck_out_tongue: Perhaps this is a bug in jMP that should be looked at instead?

Oh and this one now all of a sudden after updating to nightly:

[java](absolute path here)/trunk/assets/Models/Buggy/buggy_glow.jpg" doesn’t match “Models/buggy/buggy_glow.jpg”[/java]

Riiiiiiight?

Rather the changes and updates in nifty. When you get that popup you should also get the warning sign in the lower right, click it to see the full stack trace.

It sometimes gives this error instead:

[java]Error in Scene!

(org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid Value (1281))[/java]

Anyhow, trying to press that warning sign I had to press ok on the popup first removing the warning sign and all of a sudden it is opening without problems now. No clue what happened there :confused: At least I can play around a bit now but there is something weird going on there.

BTW you were a bit quick last time you answered, I added another detail to my previous post but you already posted your answer then :stuck_out_tongue: Perhaps you can give me a tip of what happened there as well?

Ahem, extra info on the error:

com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Asset name doesn’t match requirements.

(absolute path here)/trunk/assets/Models/Buggy/buggy_glow.jpg" doesn’t match “Models/buggy/buggy_glow.jpg”

Nevermind, Capital to Lower case problem, will try fixing it myself.

I dont know anymore, seems like the engine gets change after change and nobody checks for compatibility with jmp or any other code.

W/o a complete stack trace I cant say where the error comes from. The “invalid value” is an error that happens sometimes due to the lwjgl canvas. Since the SceneViewer is opened when you edit a NiftyGUI file to create a context for rendering this error might spawn. Usually it does not happen when the SceneViewer has been opened at least once successfully.