Does jMonkey support Kotlin

Hi guys. I was actually looking for a game engine but engines like Unity or Unreal are too much for my machine and don’t really need that much that they offer. However, I am very good in using Java but I’m pretty smooth in Kotlin. Was wondering if the platform supports Kotlin (or if it is an upcoming feature in the future)

Yep.

3 Likes

Hello @coroutineDispatcher welcome to jme!

Seeing as Kotlin is built on top of java, I see no reason why kotlin would not work with jme.

1 Like

Welcome to jme :wink:

1 Like

Yes, welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

How about Gradle? How do I add it instead of Ant. Never used it before and looks suuuper strange.

Have you yet tried the SDK?
Because there is a Gradle plugin for it which you can grab and go from there.

Edit: Essentially its a build tool which all the developers here use because of its simplicity and features.

I think I am using SDK but I’m not so sure how to add gradle to it. For the moment the build file looks like a XML-lookalike.

All default Java projects in the jME SDK are Ant based, which uses an XML build file.
To install Gradle, go Tools > Plugins and then search for Gradle in the top right search bar.
Gradle uses Groovy/Kotlin (you pick) for its build scripts.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks

1 Like

Your welcome :wink:, and thats to get ya on first base
You can always find info from the wiki

Assets and software from the store
https://store.jmonkeyengine.org/

And of course here at the forums!

1 Like

please note, Engine itself is builded with Gradle :smiley:

(myself i needed install gradle plugin via file, but maybe its now in plugins again, you need look)

one problem:

• SDK will not read assets properly from Gradle project.

So myself i have Gradle project for code and Ant project just for assets. (and gradle just pull assets folder from there)

“runtime files(”…//##########/assets") // develop"

You can always just dont use SDK, but SDK help a lot.

Generally gradle build file can look simply like:

apply plugin: 'java'
apply plugin: 'application'

mainClassName='######'

repositories {
    jcenter()
    //mavenCentral();
} 

dependencies {
    compile "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-effects:$jmeVersion"
    compile "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-lwjgl3:$jmeVersion"
etc packages...

but you can create own Tasks ofc, i just say that for simple run, it can have just like 30 lines of code

1 Like