Exciting times ahead for me

Hey monkeys,

I have some exciting times ahead of me as I will drop out of my workplace at Theater Bremen in summer 2014. Mostly due to personal reasons and because I started to come home angry every evening :frowning: I move back to my home island where I have some real estate and will work as a freelancer. I will mainly work in audio engineering and audio installation as well as on some audio software that I planned for some time now. Generally I want to be able to free myself up for projects of all kind more, I have to say ā€œnoā€ too often because of the theater work times atm.

I put this out here because this might of course also mean that I will find less (contiguous) time for jME during phases where I have lots to do. The work at the theater with some rehearsals that only required me to move a fader or press play here or there allow me to put in a lot of ā€œin betweenā€ time to the forum and coding the engine. I do want to continue working on the engine and eventually even make some money with it, be it with games or assets, but I canā€™t make it top priority right away as its not really a safe bank if you know what I mean :slight_smile:

So as most of my planning time goes to this topic already I just thought Iā€™d let you know whats up. And of course also that from summer 2014 latest you can contact me for audio engineering, sound design, music composition etc for your games, too :wink:

Cheers,
Normen

7 Likes

Butā€¦ butā€¦ who will take care of the rtfmā€™s?

On a more serious noteā€¦ there are islands in Germany?

Seriously now, thx for all the great tools and stuff (yah, taking a short-cut :D) and help on the forums. Selfishly hoping youā€™ll still get lots of free-time ^^.

1 Like

Ah! That explains why weā€™ve seen less posts from you. I thought the noobs (us mainly) had gotten to you. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for getting back home angry after work, yeah, Iā€™ve been there and itā€™s a good thing to bow out and do something else. When that happened I had this recurring dream where I was killing my bossā€¦ Was time to move on before making it true. :wink: Anyway, I do get where youā€™re coming from. Itā€™s a tough decision to make; going from a relatively solid situation to where you donā€™t know what will happen.

Hang tight, congrats and welcome to freedom. :smiley:

1 Like

Are you really giving 15 months notice period or was is supposed to be summer 2013? If former, hats off :wink:

1 Like

Good luck with your projects normen! Keep us posted :slight_smile: <3

1 Like
@abies said: Are you really giving 15 months notice period or was is supposed to be summer 2013? If former, hats off ;)

He really gave 15 months notice. The theater world is crazy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey man! I hope you will be cool! Good times will back to you! We all love you! You have been doing amazing things for JME Engine!

1 Like

@normen
You didnā€™t clear this with me??!

Who do I ask all my moronic questions about the physics engine to now? :wink: One of these days, I should actually try using itā€¦ /sigh

Anyways, this all sounds really exciting. Sounds like itā€™s gonna take a bit to get thereā€¦ will you keep us up to date as things progress?

1 Like

Considering you never sleep, I guess weā€™ll barely notice a change :wink:

2 Likes

This sounds very similar to my own situation, I am planning to do something similar and go freelance.
On the other hand, I guess there will come a time when the ā€œsafe bankā€ software is ticking over nicely and paying the bills and it wonā€™t need any major version updates for a few months. Then full dedication can be given to making 3d magic without any ā€œreal-lifeā€ work and annoying bosses/customers in the way. I certainly hope that is how it works for normen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guysā€™nā€™gals! Yes, it is 2014 and the island is called ā€œSyltā€, its in the very very far north-west of Germany and considered the ā€œisland of the rich and the beautifulā€, a high profile touristic center, Iā€™ll also make some money with renting rooms for tourists. My free time already goes towards this whole thing for preparations etc. so I already have fewer time, hence I thought I should mention it. Monkeychopsā€™ rundown basically hits the nail on the head, I hope this only is the calm before the storm :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for all your great work on jME. You did a lot of good things.

Sylt looks beautiful from the picutures on Google Maps.

Good luck with all your plans. I hope it works out well.

1 Like