Extreme resolutions (AMD Eyefinity)

I just tested how jME3 works with extreme resolutions. And it did well. :smiley:

I have quite uncommon developer computer which I use, so thought that maybe I should share my discoveries. I have three 30" 2560x1600 resolution displays and two Radeon HD 5970 graphics cards in Crossifire. I just love to play using all three displays in Eyefinity, so I wanted to test how jME3 handles that. My native Eyefinity resolution is 7680x1600 and when I use bezel compensation resolution expands to about 8000x1600.

I tested windowed and fullscreen modes, and both modes are working nicely up to 8000x1600 resolution. It seems that field of view is correct and viewable are is expanded horizontally, which is correct. Also there were no graphical glitches or other anomaly. Very nice, I’m happy monkey now! :smiley: Sorry, no screenshot. I was unable to take a screenshot, because print screen is not working in game and it looks like Fraps can’t take Eyefinity screenshot from Java application for some reason.

So, with jME3 is possible to make a game and just ignore about which resolutions players may use. But I hope that fellow developers will allow these abnormal aspect ratios and extreme resolutions and do not block these by adding own resolution selection code in top of jME3 with limited options. Just keep it simple and let player to select resolutions from what their system can provide, thanks.

Well, there might be small issue in performance, since large resolutions are quite demanding. I tested with 1, 2 and 4 GPUs in crossfire, but got same fps every time. :? So, only one GPU is utilized, no multi-GPU… I’m just a beginner in game programming and jME, so I don’t know if that is just the limitation of the OpenGL, AMD drivers with OpenGL or jME3. I’m using Catalyst 10.12 and tested guite a many different settings. I use OpenGL 2 renderer as using OpenGL 3 will result crash every time I try to launch an application.

You probably know it if you have such advanced rig, but you DID disable vsync before checking how it behaves with different amount of GPUs ?

abies said:
You probably know it if you have such advanced rig, but you DID disable vsync before checking how it behaves with different amount of GPUs ?

Yep, vsync is off. Thanks for remind. I get 400-450 fps in simple hillmap terrain with my blocky physics test car in every GPU configurations in that resolution.