Falling through the ground, invisible walls and shaking world

well, those are the problems i had recently. they are a bit rare, but they do occur.

I’m using rigidbodycontrol on the world model, generated on runtime, which is only one model and one of three solid models

There is also a vehicle with a vehiclecontrol, also generated on runtime

third is the character, with a runtime generated character control.

this is everything attached to the physicsnode, and they are all visible. Sometimes when I’m walking around on the world model, the player starts sinking in the ground, and falls of the world. This just occures at random places, and at random times. when the player falls through the ground, and gets teleported back on the ground(i’ve written some code for that), i can walk on top of that place over and over again, witouth falling through.

An other problem is that sometimes, the character acts like it walked against an invisible wall, and i can’t walk through it. the wall stays there until I exit, and restart the game. Then it has dissapeared, and sometimes, the same problem occures at an other location

The last problem is that sometimes, when the character stands still on a place (this one is a lot more rare than the other two), the world starts shaking, like if there is an earthquake.

the first two problems also occurs at the vehicle, but the first one rarely. the third problem never occured while in the vehicle.

beniboy said:... Sometimes when I'm walking around on the world model, the player starts sinking in the ground, and falls of the world....

beniboy said:
....An other problem is that sometimes, the character acts like it walked against an invisible wall, and i can't walk through it...

beniboy said:
....The last problem is that sometimes, when the character stands still on a place (this one is a lot more rare than the other two), the world starts shaking, like if there is an earthquake....

:o Urban Legends.........
1 Like

Play with the stepHeight value of the character, also look that you don’t apply too high forces “into” the terrain, if you make it high enough the character will eventually pop through the terrain. Also make sure you actually remove physics objects from the physics space by disabling the control or whatever and not just removing the spatial from the rootNode, if objects are still in the physics space you will bounce into them.

are you using terrainQuads or terrainGrid for terrain?

for the latter I can confirm the “erthquake” effect and the fall-through-ground, still working on these. The invisible wall is something new though.

anthyon said:
are you using terrainQuads or terrainGrid for terrain?

Neither, I'm using a rigidbodycontrol generated from a town model. I'm not using a terrain right now becouse towns are really hard to make with a terrain.
glaucomardano said:
:o Urban Legends.........

I know what urban ledgends are (I learned abouth them at school), but i don't see what this has to do with it.
normen said:
Play with the stepHeight value of the character,...

How? I can't find any feature called stepheight? Is my JME version too outdated?
normen said:
...look that you don't apply too high forces "into" the terrain, if you make it high enough the character *will* eventually pop through the terrain...

the only force applied to the character is a gravity of 30.
normen said:
...Also make sure you actually remove physics objects from the physics space by disabling the control or whatever and not just removing the spatial from the rootNode, if objects are still in the physics space you will bounce into them.

As i said in my first post: the world, player and vehicle are the only objects in the physics space. Nothing attached or deatached in game.

If you raise the step height of the character the shaking problems should vanish. Also make sure that the triangles the character walks on are not excessively larger than the character itself.

does a character control even have a stepheight feature? I can’t find it. (I typed ‘player.’ and looked for any method with ‘step’ in the name, and i couldn’t find any)

btw: thanks for fast reply

Its a constructor parameter

changing it doesn’t solve the earthquake effect. The other ones haven’t occured yet, but as i only got them once or twice a weak, this isn’t enough for a conclusion.

EDIT: further testing has revealed that the earthquake effect happens most on places with an high or low polygon count. On places with a medium polygon count, it occures very rarely.

also: the earthquake effect mostly happens on an edge of a polygon, while the invisible wall and falling through ground just occures at random positions. I already know this for a longer time, but forgot to say it in my first post, but i really don’t know if this can help.

For objects falling through, look here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/terramonkey/forum/topic/procedural-terrain/?topic_page=9&num=15#post-132344

makeshift said:
For objects falling through, look here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/terramonkey/forum/topic/procedural-terrain/?topic_page=9&num=15#post-132344

beniboy said:
...I'm using a rigidbodycontrol generated from a town model. I'm not using a terrain right now becouse towns are really hard to make with a terrain...

RigidBodyControl generated from a mesh, so no terrain and no terramonkey

No, when you use it on a terrain its generated from the heightmap.