File Extensions with two dots in them

Hello,

(I don’t know if this is still a topic, because I’m currently still using 3.0, making my font library.)

I once read in the source code, that resources like “.skeleton.xml” are being treated as a special case. I encountered the same problem, and found a very simple solution to it:
I have a list of well-known file extensions, that I put in a TreeMap which has a special comparator (see code snippet below). Then, I always check the end of a Path String (after using ‘normalize’ or ‘toRealPath’ - so I can be sure, that the only dots in the path string are for file extensions).

Here is the little comparator, used to foreach a TreeMap in order to find file extensions in the map:

//This comparator is mainly used to sort file extension from longest to shortest
    // example: { ".mesh.skeleton.xml", ".font.zip", ".xml", ".zip" }
    public static final Comparator<String> LONGEST_STRING_FIRST_COMPARATOR = new Comparator<String>()
    {
        @Override
        public int compare(String o1, String o2) 
        {
            if((o1 == null)||(o2 == null)) throw new IllegalArgumentException("o1 and o2 must not be null!");
            if(o1.length() > o2.length())
                return -1;
            if(o1.length() < o2.length())
                return 1;
            return o1.compareTo(o2);
        }
    };

I know, it’s no big deal, but I often like to use such file extensions with two dots. Maybe others might find this little trick interesting.

And one could solve this problem in numerous ways - for example by having a data structure like [".xml"]->{ [".skeleton.xml"], [".mesh.xml"], … } and then trying to walk in this structure as far as possible.