Forum avatar problems

I can’t seem to be able to change my avatar. Using gravatar gives an error that gravatar was not found, and uploading image to the forums gives a non-descriptive failure error.

My gravatar works on other sites.

1 Like

Same here, but i don’t get any error with gravatar, it just doesn’t update with the new one.

2 Likes

and also here :
https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/t/uploading-images-to-hub-jmonkeyengine-org-always-fails/38814

1 Like

Thanks, but doesn’t really apply to my situation. I’m getting a clear error message from these forums. The gravatar image hasn’t changed it’s been there for ages. I’ve previously been using image uploaded to the forums (which also doesn’t work anymore)

1 Like

Ok. I’d like to get this working for you and any others with the same problem. I tried it on my own profile and everything seems to work fine, though. Can you tell me the exact error and i’ll dig a little deeper.

1 Like

All right… I tried to add screenshot of the error but I got an error uploading the screenshot. Heh.

But the error said, quot (and this is a loose translation, I have the forums set on Finnish): “Sorry, we’re unable to find a profile picture connected to this email address. Could you try uploading it again?”

1 Like

I assume your gravatar profile and the forum both have the same e-mail address?

1 Like

Yes they do. I changed my email address on the forums to use the gravatar email address. The issue might be related to that - but the address is correct and the gravatar is also there and works on other sites.

1 Like

Yeah, I was kind of grasping at straws…

I remember having some problems when I originally switched. One of them was that I was using an e-mail address on the forum that didn’t match any in my gravatar account. I think maybe the other was that I still had a forum image enabled or something. It was right around the same time we switched forums so I don’t remember exactly… but I eventually got it working back then.

This might be a new issue.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve changed it some days ago and the first thing i tried was to remove the cache.

The avatars are provided through maxcdn even if they are gravatar.Maybe a delay with the invalidation of maxcdn’s cache?

1 Like

I logged into my gravatar account, and my jmonkey email is an added on email, not the primary email. Iv changed my picture to “system assigned” and back again and all kinds of mess-up-ery and it just works. Ill have to just keep investigating. Any more feedback would be interesting if nothing else.

1 Like
  1. I registered many months ago.
  2. Uploaded profile image succesfully
  3. Later uploaded another profile image succesfully
  4. Long time passed
  5. Changed email address, today, from settings to my gravatar email
    5a) Confirmed email address from the email that forum sends
  6. Tried to switch profile image to “gravatar” - fails with error.
    @jayfella
1 Like

I can see your avatar. Are you saying its a different one than one with the winter background?

1 Like

I have tried in different ways, even changed the email. Checking the success of this service.

1 Like

Yes. I was trying to switch the winter one into a summer one.

2 Likes

Same problem for me. I signed up with github, maybe that is of some help? Though gravatar works on github (and everywhere else).
The message I get when selecting gravatar is:

Sorry, we can’t find any avatar associated with that email address. Can you try uploading it again?

That is probably not really helping though :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you for the input everybody. I cant find any setting that would afffect this, or anything on google so it must be specific to this setup. I havent ignored the issue, but have nothing to report thus far.

3 Likes

is there any news on this issue? I may have some data to help locate the issue.
When you select gravatar and click refresh the browser makes a post call to https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/user_avatar/lenscas/refresh_gravatar.json

However, this call results in a 500 internal server error.
Meanwhile, the behavior of an image upload also changed since last time I tried. Now instead of getting stuck I can get a bit further.

After you select an image an image the browser makes a POST to https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/uploads.json to by the looks of it upload the image. After the image is uploaded we get the following response:

{"success":"OK"}

which is valid JSON and by the looks of it tells the browser that the upload wend correctly.
Despite this though, it triggers a new box to come up telling you that something wend wrong.
If we ignore this and click on safe changes a new call gets made to https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/u/lenscas/preferences/avatar/pick
this is a PUT and contains fields for both the type and upload_id. Note however that only type is filled in and contains “uploaded”. The upload_id is empty.
The request results in a 422 “no reason” with as content

{"errors":["Sorry, we can't find any avatar associated with that email address. Can you try uploading it again?"]}

My guess as to what needs to happen is that the server not only returns the success but also a upload_id. But that is just speculation.

2 Likes

Any news on that? It seems still not work, my gravatar picture did change but jme forum refuse to display the new picture…

1 Like