Yes, I also think gltf could be that format everybody is waiting for.
Interesting facts :
- gltf is json + optional binary data.
- Blender has a gltf export plugin that works nice.
- gltf 2.0 spec supports PBR material definition
- Sketchfab now generates a gltf version for all the downloadable models. (from any format)
- Some of my coworkers went at SIGGRAPH this year, and it seems gltf is getting a lot of traction now.
Now about the implementation... well... reading json in java is a walk in the park yes... but usually the difficult part is to "convert" data as they are serialized into JME paradigm. But definitely...this could be a nice addition to JME.
EDIT: About blender addon, it's still in beta, but the nice part is that it supported by Kronos group