Google Drive for src

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone else is using Google Drive for storing their non-open source code?

Reason I am asking is that their privacy policy is freaking me out a bit, specifically this clause:

"Your Content in our Services

[…] When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. […] "

I really like the service, but right now I am reluctant to use the drive for any essential documents… :S

Have anyone else looked into Google Drive? What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

NiHal

I doubt google will find a good reason to promote itself with your actual code… Maybe with your project at some point but that would be cool, wouldn’t it? :slight_smile: Google only reserves the right to basically advertise for itself with your assets… So your photo might be used in a google ad or something… but also only when you made it public in the first place afaik.

reproduce, modify, create

Wati so they can relable it and sell it or?

BitBucket is free for private projects, why not just use that? ^^

3 Likes

I suggest dropbox,

create with truecrypt a 2gb container file in the dropbox folder and mount it as a storage device.

→ Stuff on dropbox is encrypted

→ you can work with it like a local harddrive(well ab it slow probably)

@EmpirePhoenix said:

no, its out of context

Well I dont know the cntext before the part he posted, but that part specifically says exactly this.

(And yes renaming can be a derivative work)

Doesnt that imply that he revokes all copyright to content he uploads? That sounds a little bit too much coming from google…

Would still allow them to publish your game with a google logo on it as promotion for google.

I don’t trust all that free cloud bullshit offered lately.

I suggest to use a truecrypt container inside the drive, save is better than sorry. A stolen container is worth nothing after all.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I’ll look BitBucket as suggested by sbook. I tried using Google Drive for smaller jME projects, mainly for doing small modules for my game after work in the office.

Things were fine until one of my .java files disappeared right as I saved a new copy of it. Completely gone! I had to decompile the .class file to retrieve my code.

Obviously, I wont be using Google Drive for anything but poorly taken holiday pictures. Too bad, it seemed like a very good service, not considering the EULA.

Cheers

/nihal

@EmpirePhoenix said:

IANAL but I think you need to give them right to do that to even copy the files from one disk to another and compress it in their data storage cabinet.