Google play multiplayer

Hello I’m just someone who knows some Java and did made a smal game using swift as a university project. I didn’t program an app or used jmonkey till now but I want to make a multiplayer ios / Android crossplaform game using Java and jmonkey seems to be the right thing (expect that i want to start with a small 2d game but ignoring the one extra dimension shouldn’t be hard, right?). On the other side I don’t have a server and I don’t plan on getting a server so the only way for a multiplayer is either me programming some p2p stuff (hard work) or I use the Google play services:

https://developers.google.com/games/services/android/turnbasedMultiplayer
It’s interesting that this seems to work for ios also.

So my question before I even start to install anything: does this two work together? Can I follow the instructions about google play inside of a jmonkey project? I know jmonkey haves some networking stuff, do i need to use that to use the google play api? Or do I need to ignore that part completely if I need to make use of Google play?

It looks like the turn based variant also haves a rest api maybe this would be a workaround but I would need this also in the realtime variant otherwise the amount of games I could create would shrink drastically (and i have very little rest knowledge so I would need to learn that):

I hope I’m in the right forum section by the way.

Edit:
By the way the reason why I’m using an engine is it to get tilsets to work or everything else that is about grafics/ gui. My strength lies in simple logic, so I can create game logic .

As long as it’s java, I dont see why it shouldn’t work. You design the game :slight_smile: jME is open in that way - if you only want to, you can just use the framework for the game-loop and the rendering and do the rest yourself.

But have you considered LibGdx for a 2d game instead of jME ? Just asking. I myself have a 2d game going in jME, but I like the 3d perspective (and will use some 3d features at some point), so it makes sense for me to use jME. But there is an overhead of course - the entire engine is based on 3d.

Yeah, I’m a JME core dev and if I were targetting mobile devices only and 2D only then I’d use LibGdx, too. In fact, for the puzzle game I was working on I did exactly that.

1 Like

One of the games I plan would work in 3d also. The main reason why I stick to 2d is because this way I don’t necessarily need walking animations and such things (but I think depending on the art it can look better in 2d or 3d). Im definetly not someone who can create graphics or 3d models I need to use what I can find. I had this plan earlier and than had to skip it till today, I don’t remember why I decided at that day for jmonkey instead of LibGdx but maybe because of the easier transition to a 3d project later (you know I like to have a hammer with which I can hammer screws, I know that that’s a bad habit). But as said I don’t remember maybe I thought it’s older and so maybe harder to use because less compatible with new things. After your comments I will consider it again but it’s really motivating that you say jmonkey would work together with Google Play multiplayer api. Now I need to look into getting starting thinks.