Got a new printer/scanner, great thing for textures

Hey,

I just got a new color laser printer (HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color M275nw – what a name) plus scanner and the scanner part is a bit special because its not a flatbed scanner but instead it photographs the page 3 times with strong light in different positions from above. This allows it to scan a 2D image of 3D objects as well and because it pretty perfectly whites out the background this makes it perfect for scanning textures, especially for foliage and the likes.

…so I took some christmas decoration from my neighbor…

…scanned it with the scanner software…

…to get out an image with a perfectly even white background :smiley:

Kinda neat, I’ll have to go in the woods to find some nice foliage :wink:

Cheers,

Normen

Sweet! There are some shadows on the texture that you probably wanna get rid though :wink:

So you are sayin’ I can snail mail foilage samples to wherever in germany you lives and get a texture back? Thanks a lot! :stuck_out_tongue:

@kwando said:
So you are sayin' I can snail mail foilage samples to wherever in germany you lives and get a texture back? Thanks a lot! :P

Sure, only thing is they'll be creative common'd and added to an asset pack then :D

@normen sharing is caring :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you get the tree images out somehow? With some magic it might be possible to construct a normal map from them, but I suspect that the distance between the light is not large enough…

http://zarria.net/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html

“tree images out” :? The SDK texture editor has a normal map generator that uses ordinary images as input, that should work :slight_smile:

I never considered a scanner could be used to obtain textures… I wonder how my workplace will react if I start bringing foliage from the parks into our copy room. :slight_smile:

What is that horrible statuette in the background?

@nihal said:
What is that horrible statuette in the background?

Iron Maiden, Piece of Mind, 1983 - Bruce Dickinson, Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Nick McBrain, the guy on the cover is called "Eddie" ;)

So, 200dpi seems to be the maximum that makes sense with this thing, from then on I get artifacts from the image processing. Still plenty enough for the intended purpose :smiley:

75, 100 and 200 dpi scan (click for full size)

Ah, yeah you said it takes three images with light from three directions? (tre(e) == three in swedish :P)

@kwando said:
Ah, yeah you said it takes three images with light from three directions? (tree == three in swedish :P)

Yeah, thats why the shadows are so funnily blurry :) But its great to avoid a "photo" look, perfect for this application ^^

… you didn’t tell me you stole it form your neighbor :stuck_out_tongue:

@sbook said:
... you didn't tell me you stole it form your neighbor :p

Its back in her storage place in the hallway ;)