GPU Skinning on Android?

Not sure if this was the right place to post this question but, I couldn’t find anything with many a google search and no one answered in the chatroom.

Does anybody know if GPU skinning is supported for Android? Is it done by default or do I have to enable it somehow if so?

Have a look at this thread:
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/mostly-complete-patch-hardwaregpuvertex-skinning-aka-matrix-palette-blending-for-jme/

I guess that means that JME is still using cpu skinning for both android and PC until that patch goes in?

I guess that means that JME is still using cpu skinning for both android and PC until that patch goes in?
Yes.

But IMO that’s not a very good idea to use hardware skinning on android hardware. Shading already put a lot of burden on the GPU…not sure you’ll have a lot to spare for skinning.

1 Like

For my purposes I was planning to use shadeless because of the style I was going for, so essentially I would only need textures and skinning.

We’ve used that hardware skinning code for our purposes on Android and saw 2x-3x improvement in framerate performance across several devices. We are rendering a full scene of static geometries all with shaders, and two objects animated with hardware skinning shaders. I highly recommend using it.

2 Likes

oh really?
That’s good news thanks for the feedback!
Sometime I love to be wrong.

@Momoko_Fan…now is the time to get this into core.

2 Likes