Graphic Capacities of jME?

Thanks, I’ll try that

Should I handle the door and the doorframe as separate objects or combine them into one? I want to “open” the door in jMonkey without moving the doorframe.

Leave two different objects if you want to open the door without the frame

2 Likes

Yeah but other than that try to combine as much as possible for a better performance

1 Like

Is this model/material completely compatible with jMonkey (it uses a diffuse, normal and gloss map)?

Oh and what am I supposed to do when the texture has a normal map and I also want the object itself to have a normal map? I want to bake (or what it’s called) a normal map with the bevel modifier

Blender nodes don’t translate over, you’ll have to make a material with those maps in the sdk or via code. All those maps should be supported if you use PBR shader in jme, however I strongly recommend you start with the regular Lighting.j3md. It looks a bit more garbage than PBR one, but is much easier to get working.

1 Like

Okay, thank you

Does the scale of objects in Blender equal the scale of an object in jME? I mean the units of the coordinate system/scenegraph.

Units are units.

A 1 here is a 1 there. Whatever “1” means to you. Inches, feet, miles, meters, millimeters, leagues.

I’m not sure your question makes sense. 5 is 5.

Now, in Blender if 5 is 5 miles and you run JME with bullet physics then it’s going to move objects around as if that’s 5 meters with the default setup… but that’s because physics cares (only a little) about such things.

Else, 5 is 5.

1 Like

To add a footnote to @pspeed’s answer, I find it helpful to call 1 unit 1 meter. It’s totally arbitrary, but (a) it’s a practical scale for most engines (especially when Bullet is involved), (b) works well with 32-bit float precision, and © it’s intuitively familiar to a lot of people. As I mentioned above, it’s arbitrary - I could just as well call 1 unit 1 yard or 1 foot or 1 centimeter and have everything work out, but in practice I find 1 meter to work well. Just make sure you use the same convention with ALL of the tools you use and all content will be compatible.

2 Likes

And then you can also avoid crashing a mars lander… :wink:

3 Likes

Eh, minor detail. We’ll just leave that one for the art team to sort out. :wink:

4 Likes

Okay, thanks for your help

Where can I access the debug variables shown in the bottom left?

Also I am gettting a few errors when trying to load my door:
Unsupported pass directive: alpha_to_coverage
Unsupported pass directive: colour_write
Unsupported pass directive: depth_check
Unsupported pass directive: depth_func
Unsupported pass directive: depth_write
Unsupported pass directive: illumination_stage
Unsupported pass directive: light_clip_planes
Unsupported pass directive: light_scissor
Unsupported pass directive: normalise_normals
Unsupported pass directive: polygon_mode
Unsupported pass directive: scene_blend_op
Unsupported pass directive: shading
Unsupported pass directive: transparent_sorting

Which script do you use to export your model? since blender (Ogre, gltf, …) ?

1 Like

Ogre3d .scene and .mesh

How do I convert the .material file I get from exporting my object to a jmonkey material?

Hello @jNewbie, it is not possible to convert a .material file directly into a .j3m file (jMonkey material). You will need to create a material file yourself. Then apply the textures to that material file and assign the material file to the models geometry.

For more information have a look at the wiki articles, for example:

https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/sdk/material_editing.html#toolbar
https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/jme3/intermediate/multi-media_asset_pipeline.html

2 Likes