How can /i seperate a mesh into a bunch of random smaller meshes

I plan to use this for a small explosion effect. All I want to do is break up the mesh into a few sections and get them off the screen. I can’t use a static image for this because the models all have random coloring/size/etc… Is there a builtin way to seperat the mesh, or should I make my own?

1 Like

You’ll need to write your own, there is no built in mesh or face explode. It shouldn’t be to hard to make a control that breaks the existing mesh apart per face and moves each face outward in a random sort of way. You can have a look at the existing particle emitter for some ideas on where to start jmonkeyengine/jme3-core/src/main/java/com/jme3/effect at master · jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine · GitHub

The issue is going to be that if it’s a good mesh then it’s sharing vertices.

Really, if you are in the position/experience level where the solution wasn’t already “to hand”, the fastest way is to make something in Blender.

I can =P It’s not as hard as you think to match an image to a model, you make an image of it every frame anyway …

I have played with breaking models before, its a pain in the ass as not worth it IMHO unless is for game-play, such as destruction in Rainbow 6 Seige. Particle effects FTW.

Another approach is the use Blender’s Cell Fracture modifier to make a ‘broken apart’ mesh, and swap your model out for the broken apart model. You can crumble your peices with physics, basic transforms or a baked animation from Blender.