How do i install Javadoc?

What do I have to install when I get the message below? I’m not an experienced developer so please explain it in a way that I can understand it. Thank you very much !!

2 Likes

if using Gradle, you can just click on packages folder in Projects TAB → “download javadocs” and “download sources”, then it will work fine for javadocs and debugging.

Yeah… looking at the JAR path. That is probably an ANT project. Depending on what you are doing it might be better at least for the long run to switch to said Gradle. Probably the easiest way is to create new Gradle project and migrate your code there. Then you’ll also get the javadocs and sources as described.

& @Edmund in case you are searching for gradle examples :
Desktop :

And the SDK you are using can straight away create a new Gradle game project for you. The same way you created your ANT game project. Just select the Gradle option.

Ant is not deprecated but honestly, everybody has migrated to Maven or Gradle. It just makes so much simpler to handle the dependencies etc.

Hi!

it works great via gradle, but is it possible to attach a javadoc manually (to jme3-core-3.3.0-stable.jar) without gradle?

if yes - how?
Could someone point me to the correct download/link please (
thank you

1 Like

Using jMonkeyEngine SDK v3.3.0-stable, File > New Project > JME3 > BasicGame, creates the basic “box” example (and it works). But, I see no method to “select the Gradle option”. I could do File > New Project > Java with Gradle > Java Application, but that had to download Gradle 6.3 and created an empty main() project. How do I use SDK v3.3.0-stable and create a Gradle game project?

Locate the build.gradle file in your project and add the following lines:

repositories {
    mavenCentral()
}

def jme3 = [grp: 'org.jmonkeyengine', ver: '3.4.0-stable']

dependencies {
    // jMonkeyEngine dependencies
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-core:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-desktop:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-effects:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-jbullet:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-jogg:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-lwjgl3:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-niftygui:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-plugins:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-terrain:${jme3.ver}"
    implementation "${jme3.grp}:jme3-testdata:${jme3.ver}"
}

Note that you might not need all of these dependencies in your project.

Are you sure you are using 3.3?

Hey @Firzen , if you have cloned jme3 then yes its possible to build java-doc file for jme3 through gradle daemon javaDocs task closure, check this :
https://docs.gradle.org/current/dsl/org.gradle.api.tasks.javadoc.Javadoc.html

the main attrs or groovy properties are source & destinationDir.

Note : you can check first the SDK for easier way.

As I said, I chose File > New Project > JME3 > BasicGame, and I didn’t find anything about Gradle. That’s what all the documents and tutorials say to do. :thinking:

Now, when I choose File > New Project > JME3 > Basic Gradle Game, :pleading_face:, please don’t shoot me. I’ll check out the other points now and try to get Javadocs.

Yeah, we should really update the wikis and all that. This is a new thing in SDK 3.3. And I know this is kinda complicated. One just wants to create quality 3D content with JME and first thing already a complex selection; which build system to use. Far from sexy, flexible: yes, sexy: no. And it is not directly related to JME, it is just a way to manage your project in general.

Having missed doing File > New Project > JME3 > Basic Gadle Game, I’m embarrassed to say, but …

I went to the “Projects” tab in the IDE. Selecting my project, there is no “Packages” subfolder, and those that have “Packages” in their name have no JME libraries in them. None of their submenus has “download {anything}”. Unlike the ANT BasicGame, I can’t see the JME libraries … wait a minute …

I found {project} > Configurations > compileClasspath > {JME3 libraries}; and right-clicking those I find “Download Sources” and “Download Javadocs”. I’ll try that.

You don’t have to individually download those, just:

Very good. I’ve downloaded the library’s Javadocs. Then Alt-F1 opens the (Netbeans) default browser with the Javadoc; Ctrl-Shift-Space pops up a window; Ctrl-P hints at method arguments. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

When I try this in my IDE it doesn’ work

It doesn’t work since you have ANT project. This is a feature only available on Gradle projects. I also suggest you to switch over to a Gradle project instead, you’ll thank me later.

2 Likes