How do you convert from .blend to .j3o?

Is there a command line converter?

You can write one. A SimpleApplication that loads a blend model and then export it using BinaryExporter.

Cool, perfect, thanks!

Oh, one quick question, I see some people are going through OGRE XML. Is there any advantage of doing it one way over the other? Do the .blend files or ORGE XML ever have any issues?

One disadvantage of Ogre which i can remember is that you can not export normal map (bump map) textures on your model.
The next disadvantage is, it is not maintained any more.

Using OGRE is the only way for us to convert animated objects.

Good to know, thanks!

Oh, wow, that is important. Okay, looks like I have to go through OGRE for animated objects, thanks!

Recommend to use Xbuf instead. it is maintained and is in a stable mood and has the most support over exporting from blender to JME in comparison with Ogre or Blender importer. You can also import animated models easily using xbuf.

here is Xbuf git: xbuf · GitHub

I am currently using Xbuf.
If you decide to use xbuf too and have any question regarding setting it up and using it, you can ask. I will gladly help.

Edit: It also supports spatial animation. see :

Okay, cool, thanks! I think I will give Xbuf a try. Are there any limitations to Xbuf currently?

It covers all my needs in importing models to jme.

Blender also is capable of importing animations, at least in 3.1.0 which wasn’t that supported in 3.0.
It could always be that you have one special file where one importer is broken and another one is not, though.

j3o IS NOT an exchange format. It is (like a java class) dependent on the project structure of the specific project its being used in. So a command line converter doesn’t really make sense.

Nevermind, just realise it was suppose to get done in command line.

I can personally say that I strictly use blender files and import animations just fine.

Also I have copied my .j3o’s to different projects multiple times, I’m not sure how limited this is.

Do you have hardware support for animations enabled?

in xbuf ?
jme_xbuf_loader use HW Skinning.

xbuf was started with the idea to use :

• realtime preview of jme in blender
  • batch conversion and automatic pipeline (via command line script, gradle, …)

I didn’t provided the sample/doc about how to blend → xbuf → j3o. from command line or gradle script. But it’s doable.

I was asking @BigBob because with HW skinning enabled we had serious bugs in animations imported directly from Blender.

Btw, @david_bernard_31 is there any ‘step by step’ guide for dummies to use xbuff with JME 3.0? With compiled jars of course.

today: http://www.xbuf.org/get_started/ (you should change version number)
I’ll update doc and site. I planned to do the update when I’ll finish some experimentation (with nodes for material). But I could re-order ;-).

1 Like

All really great points. Thank you all!