How legal is the use of real world branded products as models

always wondered about that, especially for vehicles, since there are tonnes of vehicles and other such models available for free of specific brands and models vehicles e.g. lets say u wanted to specifically use “1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS” or 1999 BMW 730 complete with all it identifying markers are there or can there be possible legal trouble for something like that …I’m want to rig some cars for a cut scene

Yep

I guess it depends on the country a bit… but to be on the safe side I would remove the identifying marks, names, logos, etc.

Maybe they can sponsor your game? :slight_smile:

Who knows, maybe if the car even looks like the same then it might be a problem. Although in TV shows you sometimes see the identifying marks on cars covered up.

Alright here is a post on GameDev about this topic: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/478763-car-licensing-for-free-game/

tl;dr: do not do it

1 Like

To be honest you need to ask a lawyer. Rules for that sort of thing vary depending on where you are in the world.

There are trademark, copyright, registered design and suchlike issues. In particular any trade marks you need to be really careful with.

Play on the safe side. Make simile, look-alike cars. People are usually intelligent enough. Usually… :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know about this in detail but For football FIFA licensed the leagues, but pro EVO seems to get around it by just changing the names of all players and teams. There might be more to it tho :stuck_out_tongue:

I know for many of the Gran Turismo releases there were some brands of car that you could not drive… though they sometimes had differently named cars that looked and acted exactly the same. It’s a “car game” so maybe they had to get specific licenses in that case but still, I agree with the others. You are on shaky ground if you leave the real logos and names. Those are trademarks and trademarks must be enforced in order to keep them.

1 Like

thought so… sometimes when stuff is just sitting there being offered “for free” one can miss the big picture in the heat of the chase, so to speak so…generic cars and made up signage then and based on the articles I’m going to have to change “at least” the texturing on all those “free” gun models…not selling this…so I pretty much don’t want trouble for a “fun thing” …

the question just kinda hit me while looking at some guns that use photo images of actual guns for textures apparently the gun companies are also paying close attention to game assets and the licensing of said

thanks for the info and links guys

Actually at least in germany if you start of with modifing a existing model , you are already doing something illegal , as any creator has a right of ownership on their own work.

@EmpirePhoenix said:
Actually at least in germany if you start of with modifing a existing model , you are already doing something illegal , as any creator has a right of ownership on their own work.

The same is true in the U.S. unless the licensing specifically allows for derivative works (like any good open source license).

So for the free models (and definitely the for-pay models) you download it's best to double check the licensing before using them. And be at least reasonably aware of the restrictions default copyright has.

In the end it doesn’t matter the specific country it was made in if you intend to have a global audience. If it’s distributed outside that country, the “author” could get into a deep and sticky mire.

The only “good” thing about such is the overall visibility. Even then, not all publicity is good publicity.

I don’t think it’s worth it. Ever.

yeah the licenses says free to modify…though there was one with no license doc but a note on the turbosquid page that says as much

If you would still like to use real cars just contact those makers and explain to them what it is you’re doing and how you intend to use the models. The worse you can get is a “no”.

That’s what I’d do.

@madjack said:
If you would still like to use real cars just contact those makers and explain to them what it is you're doing and how you intend to use the models. The worse you can get is a "no".

That's what I'd do.

it's ok I'll use generics......EA might find out and get all bent of shape since they pay ;) ...kidding

thanks again guys

Actually be carefully, with free model sites, you can never know if not some idiot just uploaded a model without the rights.

Car companies are notoriously protective about use of their cars in games so don’t expect a yes unless you are offering a lot of money. Even then they have a lot of restrictions. One reason most car games don’t have physical damage appear on the car is because the car companies won’t let them…

@EmpirePhoenix said:
Actually be carefully, with free model sites, you can never know if not some idiot just uploaded a model without the rights.

yeah ..I'm aware of that

@zarch said:
Car companies are notoriously protective about use of their cars in games so don't expect a yes unless you are offering a lot of money.

that what got me to thinking and made me post here thanks