How long have you been coding Java/jMonkey?

Just curious to see how long some of the veterans having been doing Java and jMonkey.

For me 6 months Java, 1 month jMonkey

My first full sized Java project was in 1998 or so. Soā€¦ a long time.

I first used JME in 2006 but only played around. Didnā€™t get back to it until 2011. Back in 2006, I was already deep into using a different OpenGL-based scene graph for my day job (OpenSceneGraph) and so JME was just something to play with in my off time.

1 Like
@pspeed said: My first full sized Java project was in 1998 or so. So... a long time.

I first used JME in 2006 but only played around. Didnā€™t get back to it until 2011. Back in 2006, I was already deep into using a different OpenGL-based scene graph for my day job (OpenSceneGraph) and so JME was just something to play with in my off time.

Thats incredible!

21 months in Java, 11 months in JME3. But Iā€™ve been writing software since 1979 which helps.

2 years 9 months with jME (dam time flies!), java about the same (maybe a month earlier)

Iā€™m with java since i was 14, it was 13 years ago. :slight_smile: And with JMonkey since 2011 after Ogre, Torque and DXStudio. About programming I started with pascal and then C++ 17 years ago.

java - somewhere in 2010
jm3 - first contact in 2011, but noticed it was too early to hope to acomplish something with it yet. So now early 2014 I came back with more experience and working on a little project to get used to the engine before attacking the real thing.

Well i started in Garrysmod (9) to programm game stuff, then extended that to a larger gamemode based on spacebuild + rpg elements,
got pissed at the limitation of the source engine, and moved to a more flexible solution.
This was when JME2 was the current, so somewhere around 2008-2009. I started learning java then as well.

By now I would have several smaller games released, if it were not for me following that mmo goal (basically itā€™s still the same game idea since garrysmod), and ignoring the adivice to start small ^^ XD

But good sideeffects are various job relevant skills, and motivation to study informatics(+economy)

Java - 1995 (started with HotJava alpha 3, it became ā€œjavaā€ only from beta version of JDK).
JME - somewhere around 2004 probably (at least this is first code contribution I can find). Of course, had a long break in meantime.

Coding Java since 98ā€™ or so, Java 1.2 was a new thing to me :wink: Looked into jME(2) around 2006 but I was only playing around with it and lurking on the forums until 2009.

What is Java?

2 Likes
  1. Not sure
  2. For a while now

I canā€™t remember what I just had for breakfastā€¦ trying to recall something like this just makes my brain hurt worse than usual.

1 Like

Started with Java at faculty in 2005.
Started with JME in 2009. We are in ā€˜on and offā€™ relationship. :slight_smile:

My first Java lines were written in 2007.

Wrote my first JME lines in 2008. Funny thing is that I had no other choice. The engines at this time where hilarious expensive or overcomplicated (the ogre guys started their tutorial with: yes, we know that this documentation is extremely huge.) and also the only language I knew was Java. So JME2 was the smallest evil I could find.

2010 I tried JME3 and this was a really cool moment. Especially the strange material system was thrown away and replaced by a solution that was way easier to understand. So congrats for that. Its a quite nice piece of work.

java since 2005
jmonkey since about a little over a year ago.

still no games

Java for 6-7 years, 4Ā½ of them professionally. jME for 2Ā½ years on and off.

1 Like

I discovered JMonkey when it was version 2. So I guess that makes it a few years.

Iā€™ve been doing java since about 2006. Nearly a decade. The time just flies by :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started with Java on my spare time in 2006 (during summer vacation) after having programmed AMOS during my teens (which would be the mid 90s). Optimistic as I am, I started using JME2 in 2007, which was way too soon.
I went full-time Java developer in late 2008 and used JME2 on and off. Started using JME3 seriously in late 2010.

Hey you guys,
I feel old when I answer this question!!! :facepalm:

I have been coding Java since University days in 1998 ā€œOUCHā€!
And I have been coding jME since Ā± 2002.

@ndebruyn said: Hey you guys, I feel old when I answer this question!!! :facepalm:

I have been coding Java since University days in 1998 ā€œOUCHā€!
And I have been coding jME since Ā± 2002.

Hehehā€¦ well, then I feel really old. I only shared my Java coding time. I started writing BASIC programs at age 10, circa 1981 or so. I did C and ASM professionally for the better part of a decade before getting to play with Java for real. For my first real Java project, Java 1.2 was still in early betas. I still remember having to convert the Swing package names as that evolved.

Good times.