How many polygons is normal for an fps scene

At the moment I’m trying to make a forest, but 20,000 polygons so for with only sparse trees seems quite high :S. How much would you say was normal for a scene like this?

That’s why people make things like LOD, Imposters, etc to bring the poly count down…

Having said that doing some searching on these forums will see this question asked and answered several times :wink:

1 Like

well my pc can handle 5million with no problems, but only like 3k of independent objects.

I concur… a million triangles should be no problem for any OpenGL 2 cards.

It’s the object count that will kill your draw dispatch.

Seems like maybe you are not batching your geometry.

@pspeed said: I concur... a million triangles should be no problem for any OpenGL 2 cards.

As i understand it every object has to be prepared (Node Transforms etc.) in software. This seems to be the reason. So i guess it’s better to have a single object then to split the object up if it’s not necessary ? But we also have to keep in mind the disadvantage in culling objects out of view this brings…

@naas said:
@pspeed said: I concur... a million triangles should be no problem for any OpenGL 2 cards.

As i understand it every object has to be prepared (Node Transforms etc.) in software. This seems to be the reason. So i guess it’s better to have a single object then to split the object up if it’s not necessary ? But we also have to keep in mind the disadvantage in culling objects out of view this brings…

Batching has been covered extensively in other threads. See classes like BatchNode. Yes, it’s good to batch spatially to balance between few draw dispatches and nice culling. There is no one size fits all solution.