How to 3DsMax->JME2.0?

Hi, for days i have been trying to figure out how to get my animations properly from 3DsMax to JME scene.

Please, somebody who has a working workflow, reply.

I would like to know:

-which format you are using?

-which 3DsMax version?

-biped or bones?

-which tools to export models and animations from max?

-which loader/importer in JME to get the mesh and animation to the scene?

-any importnant steps with specific tool (like 1 rootbone and editable mesh only etc)

Thanks.

This link will help you:

http://www.monkeyswithspoons.com/docs/Animated_MD5_Models_in_JME.pdf

You mean you can't just use the MaxToJme class? I could have sworn that worked. Anyway, I import my models into Blender3D (free) and export them using the Md3 export script found in the wiki. The Md3ToJme converter works nicely for that.

I attempted to use the MD5 converter but the MD5 export script from blender messed my model up (probably partially due to the fact I'm a horrible modeller), but MD3 worked great.

If I remember correctly *.3ds format allows to export only simple animations, like rotations, movement and scaling, i never managed to export bone animation with those.

Also, it annoys me (probably due to lack of my skill) that 3ds files are always imported into 0,0,0 position.

Why not just move them after loading??

Well If i have entire level already set up in 3ds max for instance, it would be tremendous waste of time to put everything on it's place again inside jme would it not?

This problem does not exist when using obj's which "remember" their position. Unfortunately objs cannot be animated (or at least I never managed to export animation with obj).

Another thing is, that when I create a level, and want to do some tests on how game works, I simply export >entire< scene as obj and have it running nicely, while 3ds would move >every single object< of the scene to 0,0,0 screwing it up totally.

Trussell said:

You mean you can't just use the MaxToJme class? I could have sworn that worked. Anyway, I import my models into Blender3D (free) and export them using the Md3 export script found in the wiki. The Md3ToJme converter works nicely for that.

I attempted to use the MD5 converter but the MD5 export script from blender messed my model up (probably partially due to the fact I'm a horrible modeller), but MD3 worked great.

I actually haven't used MaxToJme class, i dont know anything about it yet, gonna check it out. But what format do you use to import your models to blender and export from max?
Henri said:

I actually haven't used MaxToJme class, i dont know anything about it yet, gonna check it out. But what format do you use to import your models to blender and export from max?

I purchase my models in 3DS format, import then into Blender (has a built-in 3DS import function) and export them to MD3 using a script found in jME's wiki.