How to Move Texture on Sphere

Hi,

I want a texture on my sphere, but i don’t want to spread it all over it, but place it on a special position. Is there any tutorial or hint about that?

p.s. it’s a big sphere, so i cant’t create one big texture which fullfills this job.

First you have to uv wrap you sphere to create the uv texture coordinates like that:

You can do it in a 3d modeling software like blender.

If you are going to do it in a 3d modeling software then after the uv texture coordinates are created, export it as an image and edit it in a image editor like photshop or gimp. There are a lot of tutorials in the internet how to map textures to a model, for blender i know a nice site : blendercookie.com. If you wanna do it manually in jmp then start by learning uv texture coordinates, but i don’t advise you to do it, it’s used internally by the engine.

Thanks for reply, i just found out an other exciting solution, based on the scaleTextureCoordinates function:

[java]

public class SphereWithMovableTexture extends Sphere {

public SphereWithMovableTexture(int i, int j, float f) {

super(i, j, f);

}

public void moveTextureCoordinates(Vector2f scaleFactor) {

VertexBuffer tc = getBuffer(Type.TexCoord);

if (tc == null)

throw new IllegalStateException("The mesh has no texture coordinates");

if (tc.getFormat() != VertexBuffer.Format.Float)

throw new UnsupportedOperationException("Only float texture coord format is supported");

if (tc.getNumComponents() != 2)

throw new UnsupportedOperationException("Only 2D texture coords are supported");

FloatBuffer fb = (FloatBuffer) tc.getData();

fb.clear();

for (int i = 0; i < fb.capacity() / 2; i++) {

float x = fb.get();

float y = fb.get();

fb.position(fb.position() - 2);

x += scaleFactor.getX();

y += scaleFactor.getY();

fb.put(x).put(y);

}

fb.clear();

tc.updateData(fb);