How to use the JME SDK Tests code on commercial project?

There are several very interesting tests we can find on TestChooser.
But many of them have complex coding that are not on the core engine, like the terrain height modifier one.

So, what if I need to make adaptations to that code, by not using the TestChooser as a base to my project (where I would need to make it a dependency and develop based on it, but if it changes or the methods are not all public, could be troubling in case I want to update the engine)?

I think, if I improve on the test code of the jme tests; whenever I release my project, that will probably be commercial and closed source (because I dont want a boss and so on…), I will have to release together a modified version of all the tests I improve upon, making them minimalistic but usable enough to everyone use and download for free, making the proper attribution to their authors.

I would like to know your thoughts and advices on this matter, thanks!

The jME3 source code is released under the BSD license, and that includes the tests as well. So as long as you follow the BSD license it is okay.

1 Like

From google code http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/
I found this template http://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
That I think is basically what we can read on every source file on JME SDK and tests.

So, if I pack together the engine on my project (I can do it right?), based on this line:
“2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.”

I must copy that top comment found on every source file (the new BSD license), into the documentation, when referring to JME SDK and Tests.
And, I can redistribute only the binary, with my modifications to the Tests and other source codes without problem.

BUT, I am forbidden to document the original author, that I improved on his/her Test source code, even to just promote him/her, based on this, right?
“3. Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.”

So, in short, I can create my classes, and put together any piece of source code found on the engine SDK and Tests, modify the way I want, and release only the binaries, being required just to add the BSD licence found on the source code into my documentation (when referring to JME SDK and Tests), and do NOT document the name of any author of any classes I copied from. Is that it?

If I am wrong on anything, or missed something, I would like to know, thanks!

“Endorse or promote” has very specific meanings. This meaning is not at all the same as “give credit to”.

For example, “tieque originally wrote this. many thanks to him” is a lot different than “tieque says our project is great and everyone should use it!”

See the difference?

2 Likes

@pspeed, oh I see now, thanks!
so I can/should/(but not ‘must’?) give credit without problems in this form ex.:
Terrain Manipulation based on TerrainTestModifyHeight.java by Brent Owens
?

despite I will, we are not obliged to give credit like in CC-BY?

Yeah, basically. I mean, you already have to include the license reproduced in the source.

1 Like