I cannot see my sky

I know, I am just a beginner.

But I finally got the terrain to load up with the Material. But the sky no matter what I do, does not show up.

Even when I try to load the sky as a separate scene, like in the code bellow, it still does not work.

package mygame.MyScenes;

import com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication;
import com.jme3.material.Material;
import com.jme3.scene.Spatial;

public class MyTerrainScene extends SimpleApplication {

public static void main(String[] args){
        MyTerrainScene app = new MyTerrainScene();
        app.start();
    }

RtsCam myCam;

@Override
    public void simpleInitApp() {

flyCam.setEnabled(false);

Spatial mySky = assetManager.loadModel("Scenes/mySky.j3o");

Material mySkyMats = new Material(assetManager, "Common/MatDefs/Misc/Sky.j3md");

mySky.setMaterial(mySkyMats);

Spatial myTerrain = assetManager.loadModel("Scenes/myTerrainScene.j3o");

Material myTerrainMats = new Material(assetManager, "Common/MatDefs/Misc/ColoredTextured.j3md");

myTerrainMats.setTexture("ColorMap", assetManager.loadTexture("Textures/dirt.jpg"));

myTerrain.setMaterial(myTerrainMats);

myCam = new RtsCam(RtsCam.UpVector.Y_UP);

//myCam.setDistance();

stateManager.attach(myCam);

rootNode.attachChild(mySky);
        rootNode.attachChild(myTerrain);

}

@Override
    public void simpleUpdate(float tpf){

myCam.update(tpf);

}

}

Strangely, if I leave out the lines of creating the material and loading the texture for the myTerrain scene, the sky shows up. But when I add those two lines the sky does not…so whats up with this?

http://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/doku.php/jme3:advanced:sky

rootNode.attachChild(SkyFactory.createSky(
assetManager, “Textures/Sky/Bright/BrightSky.dds”, iscubemapforthisonefalse));

You do not have queubucket, so it is not rendered as last, and cullhint. Just use as descriped above.

Please follow all tutorials

1 Like

I did exactly as you said, and as the above tutorial you provide said, and still I got an Exception.

Jan 29, 2015 6:20:25 AM com.jme3.app.Application handleError
SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]
com.jme3.asset.AssetNotFoundException: Textures/Sky/Bright/BrightSky.dds (Flipped) (Cube) (Mipmapped)
	at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:283)
	at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadTexture(DesktopAssetManager.java:346)
	at com.jme3.util.SkyFactory.createSky(SkyFactory.java:295)
	at mygame.MyScenes.MyTerrainScene.simpleInitApp(MyTerrainScene.java:31)
	at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.initialize(SimpleApplication.java:226)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:130)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:207)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

I don’t know what you make of this, but it didn’t work.

Let me ask you, where you fill in your asset library with the files that it needs…for instance the Exception I just pasted states, AssetNotFoundException…that’s because I might not have the required file.

Where do I get it, and how do I place it where it needs to be?

The asset “Textures/Sky/Bright/BrightSky.dds” is in jme-testdata.jar like every asset used in Test, tutorial,…

You can add the library to your project (~50Mb) or extract only the required files and place it under assets/Textures/…

PS: enclose your code fragment, console log between ``` see how-to-type-code-blocks

The easiest way to add a sky to a scene is by making a new j3o in the SDK, right-clicking the root node and selection Add Spatial->Sky. Then when you load that j3o the sky is loaded with it.

I did that, but when I add the texture to the main scene, the sky does not show either…that’s why it occurred to me to add the sky as a separate scene, but that does not work too.

Okay,
Show youre code you are using now, and what is your sky texture?

Thank you that’s how the scene looks now.

Sweet!

1 Like