I designed a more modern main page

My proposal would be for the list to include:

• Windows/Mac/Linux
  • Android & iOS
  • At least some mention of VR

As per the conversation above, our support may be lacking for several of those, but we do support them at least to a degree. My inclination is to claim support for them and improve where needed over time rather than just saying we don’t support them at all. Is everyone else on the same page here, or do we need to prune that list a bit?

3 Likes

iOS Support in particular is a bit tricky, specifically since we rely on Avian which stopped development at java 9, but yeah, we might just state that and fix it over time

Sorry to hear Avian is dropping off, but I think that Gluon’s work with GraalVM will handily pick up where they left off.

1 Like

Well thats what I was thinking. Now actually getting them to all work properly is a different subject.
But speaking of that? Who is working on jme3-vr?

I would list all of the ones that we notionally support with little asterisks next to the ones where there are caveats. Then be up front about those caveats.

We don’t support one-button push to all platforms but if you want to make a JME game on one of those platforms, you are part way there already at least.

1 Like

There hasn’t been a great deal of VR-related forum activity recently. I’d suggest checking the GitHub history for jme3-vr to find out who the most recent contributor(s) were, then ask them here for status information if they’re still active.

Yeah, it is the way to go for iOS and Android for above Java 9.

2 Likes

I was the last one that pushed some vr specific code to jme3-vr and you can read my opinion on it if you scroll up a bit.

1 Like

so I updated my design and changed up the platforms section to this

Forum posts need to be made regarding these issues so people can learn more about them, one regarding apple and the other, vr.

Let me know what you all think.

I liked the one with

Then have asterisk under that says Mac and IOS require extra setup or something like that.
Then double asterisk that says VR Oculus is under development.

Edit: Or instead of asterisk use bracketed numbers.
[1]
[2]
etc

Edit2: and of course in fine print.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll do some work on it

“Excellent support for PC, Linux and Android comes right in the box.”

We are talking about operating systems, right? If so, I don’t think that “PC” is well suited here.

Yeah, it bugs me when “PC” means “Windows” to some people. Most of my "PC"s run Linux here.

4 Likes

Just switch it for Windows?

Yes, because “PC” doesn’t mean anything.

Fixed. Do you agree with simply creating a forum post regarding mac and ios issues?

Forum posts and/or documentation pages that talk about supported platforms at a deeper level.

Probably a documentation page, there it would be easier to list possible solutions to those problems.

I just redid the ios one. Not sure if its totaly correct because I am going off what others say. We can fix it if it’s wrong but I think its pretty close.

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/jme3/ios.html

3 Likes

Bringing back this post, there should also be another forum post/wiki page regarding Mac OS development.