I designed a more modern main page

When you type hugo help does it work?

Edit: Work as in show help.

As near I can tell, you should be cloning from the Hugo\Sites folder and after that drop down into the website folder where you then issue the command hugo.

That is supposed to create the public folder.

The main website uses the hugo framework to generate static HTML/JS pages for github pages.

The hugo project is here: https://github.com/jMonkeyEngine/website

The static files are generated in the ./website/public directory of that repository and pushed here: https://github.com/jMonkeyEngine/jmonkeyengine-ghpage - and these are the files you see when you navigate to the main website.

Whilst I am very interested in contributions of all kinds - including websites - I’m not sure the changes you suggested are in keeping with the style.

• A bright theme is used to offer a fresh, clean, new look.
  • The supported platform images need to be styled so they share a similar theme.
  • The bananas do make it look more “monkeyish” but it’s also a waste of space. If anything it should display an image from one of the pages in the section.

Please don’t be disheartened, though. Websites - like all things artsy - take a lot of time and fiddling to look “just right”. Art is an art!

our current webpage was designed and done recently by @jayfella.

So if he will approve changes, it will be done. like he said Art is Art, never know for sure what is better.

btw. the banana screenshot bananas are very pixelated

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll work on this a little more. What if I put bananas scattered randomly about the page? Or should they just be gone completely?

In my experience usually the designer creates a mock-up of their vision to critique. It’s often difficult to explain your vision and the reader visualise the same outcome.

I usually get concepts or ideas in the form of an image, and once it’s approved I go about translating it to a page or template.

Well in my opinion the current website mostly is good but needs a few changes. I think everyone agrees we need a list of platforms displayed on the main site. Maybe a few more pictures can be dotted around the page to show jMonkey’s power? I’m looking for new ideas

i agree about platforms(but well, mac is…)

about JMonkey’s power it could even be single demo scene video that just look nice. like some nice PBR scene with many filters and maybe ambient parallax occlusion from riccardo and cloth physics from Minie.(i know its still user-code not core, but its avaliable) Then if using good cc0 high quality assets it could look like some AAA.

2 Likes

I’d like that, too!

i hope you remember about:

@rickard video was nice there.

Regarding supported platforms, I am not sure if VR should be included as I guess it is not complete. I might be wrong so. Hopefully someone who has done VR can comment.

I’ll try to make a video at some point or another showing off jME. What platforms do you all agree should be listed?

As someone who tried setting up jme-vr for OpenVR devices, if someone asked me if jme supports vr, my answer would be “Well yes. But actually no.” Mileage may vary when using the Oculus backend.

Mirror window doesn’t work, the library is using a deprecated version of OpenVR input api which doesn’t give access to some data from newer hardware, only a quarter of the frame actually gets pushed to the hmd on linux, documentation is almost non-existent… I could probably go on. Also most screen space filters will need to be rewritten to account for 2 viewports that must stereoscopically overlap.

2 Likes

Yeah, we only really support Windows and Linux, everything else is flaky and we should definitely fix that!

I don’t have one, but I thought it was okay to use jME on a Mac computer. What are the difficulties?

I don’t have one either, but I think they’re maybe best categorised under “caveats” - like you need to use a command line argument and such. I think beyond that it’s the rendering specifications(?) differing or being sensitive.

do we still have good mobile support? Because if not, we don’t need to be listing “supported” platforms.

• OpenGL is deprecated on Mac OS X and I think only OpenGL 3.2 is available, but:
  • You need to specify OpenGL 3.2 due to a bug in our PBR System, you can’t use OpenGL 2.0
  • With LWJGL3 you need a specific launch argument (-XstartOnFirstThread) and thus can’t use any launchers not using the main thread
  • due to this, our calls to app.start() hang on all platforms when using lwjgl3, because it uses the current thread
  • It’s not much tested apparently and I know some bigger projects had Mac OS X only performance problems but never invested in looking into it.

For Android and iOS it’s much similar: It used to work, but we never know how well. iOS specifically is a bit problematic, Android seems to work fine if you work around the quirks. I wanted to work on that.

1 Like

jME does support mobile, yes. Lots of folks here develop for Android, and a few develop for iOS (although that definitely has a few extra quirks to look out for).

Listing platform support is definitely still relevant even without considering mobile - desktop developers still need to consider support for Linux/Mac/Windows.

So what platforms should our list include?