I like using Macs better than using PCs because

You are kind of contradicting yourself here, on one hand you say you don’t understand why people won’t even consider another OS and on the other hand you say you don’t consider anything but Windows ;)

Well I do consider other OS, especially Linux, since its free. But didn't really got into switching, because as I said, I am used to Windows and I don't have to switch yet, because my student license is still active. :D

Back when I switched to Mac it was actually because of Logic Audio.. I knew that is “my tool” :D , the software I am most efficient with in terms of audio production. So I decided that the OS and platform is actually secondary.. I never looked back tho ;)

Hehe I also have my tool, its actually Eclipse, and since it runs almost everywhere I also don't care so much about "work" platform.

And for games.. I got myself a PS3.. Same principle.. It just works without me configuring the heck out of it..

Well you know, I would gladly switch to other OS if I could play all my favorite games on a console. Oh, and if I would have enough money to buy one. :)
xbox 360 > ps3

Thats true, developers have to get used to a new architecture before it can be used properly, so better go with the older hardware designs. T'is what I'm saying all the time xD
in order of speed

What speed? It'd take me hours to configure a properly working Linux audio PC, in the meantime I open the MacBook and record a whole song ;) And for CPU / GPU etc.. that depends largely on the software at hand.. ffmpeg for example runs the same on all OS's given the same hardware.. obviously.

… I have more time to start flame wars :slight_smile:

does the topic suggest a mac is not a personal computer? and why is it still called a mac? I thought they are apples now?

I just once administered a mac for a designer, where he wanted a modem installed way back long ago, me being a windows admin at a university failed horribly, since then I left macs on their own, but I never missed them. The modem was not installed and the mac user bought a windows pc with a modem. the purpose of that windows installation was to get his daughter into internet to be able to play games :slight_smile: guess the mac has improved on this internet thingy :smiley:

And now to add some flue to the flame… irony on

SO that compatibility thing and ease of a mac which drives billions of users to buy a mac makes me think mac users must be complete morons, reasons:

a) they are unable to decide which hardware to use, they must be non techy as hell :).

b) having to decide between two possible hardware choices seems to be a burden to them already

c) and paying too much for it by being tricked by the marketing suggest no cleverness too.

d) treating mac usage as a religion like thing doesn’t suggest a big intellect either…

irony off

had some fun minutes thinking about macs, thank you normen…

guess I now go back debugging my windows shader :slight_smile:

@normen said: It’d take me hours to configure a properly working Linux audio PC

Did you already try the Ubuntu Studio? :P.

I don’t have anything against Mac, I prefer Linux overall but because of my freelance work I am stuck with Windows. There are too many programs I use that require good hardware so virtualization is out of the question, and using libraries to run Windows programs are not flawless so I stay with windows for better or for worse and works just fine.

Did you already try the Ubuntu Studio?

Yeah, I had some hopes in that actually.. But in the end you only have like 10 pro audio interfaces that work at all under Linux..
What speed?

well, more performance-wise - I am able to run a server on linux that is much more performant than the same hardware running windows

Ah, yep. When you run linux you probably use the actual hardware with its maximum of capabilities in terms of core features (e.g. 64bit, new CPU/GPU extensions etc) cause the commercial OSs have a longer time to market in terms of features.

I just once administered a mac for a designer

Note that guy is a designer and you are a computer administrator in that story. Can you imagine how it sounds when he tells it? ;) He'll never know what happened ^^

Oh god Normen…fan boy :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually i have a Samsung nc10 netbook since they whee first sold (that was 2008), and it still works great, even the battery still holds 6 hours from initially 8. So noone can say, that there arent other Laptops that holds not long. But actually whatever just buy what you want to use, and don#t rub into others faces.

as with any battery, if you keep charging it when its fully charged, its gonna get damaged. If your like me and use a laptop like a desktop, then take the battery out once its fully charged and you shouldn’t have a problem. If you wanna store your battery outside for a long period of time, make sure its at 40% charged capacity, this is what manufacturers typically do to batteries which will be kept stagnant. And recharge them every so often.

for me it comes down to price, compatibility and ease of use.

I spend all my working hours getting unix server to play nice and do what I want them to do. At home, I just want a system that I can turn on and it works. This means either Windows or Mac since I can take those to the repair shop around the corner and they’ll fix it for me. With either OS being sold out of the box on their laptops, it is even included in the warranty.

So as far as easy of use is important, linux is just a no go for me at home, to much hassle. And yes, I did try out ubuntu.

Aside from that, there’s the compatibility issue. Since I by a brand new state of the art laptop every three years, I don’t like waiting 1-2 years for the linux boys to come up with the right drivers for my hardware. Aside from that, mac and windows on average score the same, although game wise, windows scores better.

I do have a console and could easily get me another one for playing games, but I like to spend my evenings in the living room with the kids and my wife so I’m stuck with only one TV. Which is usually claimed by either the kids or my wife.

As far as costs are conserned, Windows trumps Mac hands down. Paying about 2-3 times as much for essentially the same hardware is just insane. Just cause they put an apple logo on their people are willing to pay double if not more. And yes I know the argument that apple hardware is all tweaked to work together as good as possible and all that. But with the A-brand laptops (sony, acer, samsung) this is also true.

So in the end I stick with my Windows cause with these criteria it just comes out on top. This doesn’t mean I don’t like the other OS flavours, but for me personally Windows is just the best choice, at this time.

@ratoc

I have installed Ubuntu or Kubuntu(on ex Windows users that don’t understand to NOT install three antivirus on the same computer) and with all installations I had no problems setting up like I do with a Windows machine. Most of the problems many experience is when they try to install applications by compiling and installing on the same machine without good knowledge on what they are doing. I learned with those mistakes. But so far Ubuntu and Kubuntu have worked well, and they are easy to use (it’s a bit easier to migrate from Windows to Kubuntu).

About macs, while it’s true that those machines cost more than an PC with the exact specs, the OS is what really stands out compared to Windows, specially now with the Mac App Store, where people can get their applications and games from one source and have more confidence in their purchase than downloading and installing from another. And gamewise they are closer than many think, just a little behind when the games are programmed with DirectX and not OpenGL, so many games arrive to mac late. However, When it comes to design software, Macs are far better.

My real rant against Macs is the support, when the issues are out of the ordinary, you’re pretty much on your own. And if it’s a hardware issue, be prepared to give some good cash (a Mac repair can cost up to five times a PC repair because you rather go to an authorized place). I know people that preferred to buy a new mac instead of paying for repairing their old one because of the costs.

Windows it’s the most used OS in the world and there are reasons for it (some of them not ethical, but legal), because of this it has the widest support of software and devices, so users have a wider range of options to choose from in order to get the job done, and you get solutions to many problems easily when it comes to setting up your machine. I choose Windows for that reason. because of all the freelance work I do, 90% requires a software that runs on a a Windows machine.

My real rant against Macs is the support, when the issues are out of the ordinary, you’re pretty much on your own. And if it’s a hardware issue, be prepared to give some good cash (a Mac repair can cost up to five times a PC repair because you rather go to an authorized place). I know people that preferred to buy a new mac instead of paying for repairing their old one because of the costs.

I agree that some support time spans are insanely short, especially in a pro context where you might buy hardware for 20.000 in addition to the 4.000 for the computer.. If support ends after one year thats quite harsh. On the repairs, since you mostly buy a completely new computer and not just components.. Real hardware issues almost always ran via the warranty for me. For one laptop I even got 3 power adapters and 2 batteries.. Ofc they were really saying "ok, thats it now".. But that already was a friggin lot ;)
Real hardware issues almost always ran via the warranty for me. For one laptop I even got 3 power adapters and 2 batteries

I've had equally excellent support with batteries and power adapters from Apple, a few of those pays off the price of Apple care. I haven't had a battery replaced in my unibody MBP yet, but my 2006 model went through 3 of them (I used to do at least 2-3 full charge cycles a day. It was my school, home, work laptop).

I've never bought an Apple desktop for myself, but I have to say the laptops hold up incredibly well. Getting four years out of a laptop that's being used all day long is a pretty respectable feat and I'm sad to say that PC laptops I've had haven't stood the test of time.

As for OS X, I know that if you go on a gaming forum kids will say "zomg its locked down you can't do anything". Total load of crap, the amount of internals exposed to the user is incredible. Is it locked down in terms of look and feel to a degree? Yes. Is that more important than productivity? No. In terms of usability, I like the fact that I can walk up to anyone's Mac without any extra configuration and have an SSH client and vi client at my fingertips (not to mention having a solid suite of *nix commands). If I borrow time on a Windows box I need to hope there's Putty and/or Cygwin installed.

If you take away all the payment channels (App Store, iTunes, etc) in the OS and just take the "core", its the direction that I'd love to see Linux going in.

Actually if you have a good laptop you can set it so that it only starts charging if it’s below 90%. So ti loads up to 100% and then stops charging untill self discharge reaches 90%. This reduces the stress of the battery very much.

Else from continually charging,the loosing of capacity is mostly age related, it wont matter if tis in the fridge in your laptop or somewhere else.

I personally have mine set to start oading at 60% and stop loading at 90%

so it never is never fully charged and depletes quite a ways.