Ideas for an MMORPG

a game developer class: he has the special ability of being able to enter the highest level dungeons and bosses at lvl1

3 Likes

I don’t want to be “that guy” but honestly I doubt it. I think I’ve seen a few dozen of MMORPG attempt on the jme forum, and very few have materialized. :expressionless:

Just statistics… I don’t want to demotivate, just advice to learn from the mistakes of others… don’t try to make a leap that is bigger than your possibilities. Focus on a reachable goal instead.

That’s like a game master, but then as a class.
I actually wanted to add this as a part of the debug stuff.

Your pessimism only makes my motivation stronger.

2 Likes

By your fourth MMO rewrite, it should be pretty solid.

1 Like

https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/uploads/default/original/2X/5/56212284c956a256a23524fe281954d155f7ecc0.png

1 Like

Note: “above your level” is different than “hardest possible level”.

I mean, you can start learning to juggle with chainsaws right away but it might be better to learn to juggle a lot of other things first and work your way up. That’s sort of the point everyone else is making.

Why start with the thing that literally everyone who tries fails at? But anyway, I think most people must have completely forgotten what the first ‘m’ in MMO means, anyway.

I know you need a “mass” în a Mass Multiplayer Online Role Play Game, but I just want to set up the servers etc. so I know how that works.

Well, I don’t see the point on taking down his motivation. Some advices are always welcome but ey!, what if he just wants to do, like he said, something just for fun!.

Yep, that for sure. And surely that what he wanted to try to make (or at least is what I understood from his first post) is more what I would call MLRPG (Multiplayer Lan RPG) or even a small online thing. That’s not too hard and for fun can be funny xD, what is the real point in this case… maybe.

Then maybe search on the forum for some project that you like (as I said, there are dozen). Contact the author and offer to contribute… at least you won’t start from scratch.

https://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/search?q=mmorpg

Hey if you’re willing to not take yourself too seriously I’d suggest a programmer class. Sort of like a mage but more high-tech like an ability to alter game physics or something.

It’d probably be pretty weird but I haven’t seen it anywhere yet so at least it’s slightly original.

2 Likes

Despite how harsh our comments may sounds, we are actually just trying to help. We are sharing our wealth of knowledge and experience, trying to save this kid from loads of headaches and heartache. The thread is getting heated because all we are getting in return for our help and advice, is a disrespectful slap in the face.

What’s better: sapping his motivation now so he starts working on a more realistic project, which could be completed, returning heaps of satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment solving easy learning related issues; or, he gets fed up and frustrated after hitting wall after wall of problems, that a lot of us face after years of experience, he then looses heart after making little to no progress, and giving up on game development all together ?

1 Like

Related: You know what the one skill that 99% of budding game developers never learn well? Finishing.

Practice finishing as many games as possible and you will be light years ahead of almost everyone else.

5 Likes

Just my 2 cents, the term MMO is thrown around pretty loosely and should not be the sole source of a debate. It’s clear this person just wants to create a game with the elements of an MMO (Choose a class, run around completing quests, online multiplayer) which in itself is difficult but not an impossible task.

So how about we just let him have his thread, help him with whatever questions he has, and go from there. If it never amounts to anything, the thread dies. If it does, then we now have a very useful thread out there for other people attempting to create this kind of game.

This is coming from someone who, 3 1/2 years ago, wanted to make a very complex online strategy game as my first commercial project, and did manage to get to the finish line.

yeah good luck with that, there are only so many hours in the day…

Why the rudeness? If you don’t want to help then don’t help, no need to belittle someone you don’t even know.

We are actually people behind these keyboards after all. You should remember that.

4 Likes

Ok, firstly, welcome to the forums, I’m The Toucher.

Secondly, if you keep up to date with the forums (if you don’t that’s ok, I’m not hating if you dont read every thread) you will know this kid has asked 20 odd stupid questions so far, all of which could have been easily solved on his own by doing the tutorials, looking at the documentation, and having some very basic java knowledge, something we have tired to suggest several times but keeps falling on dead ears.

EDIT actually I think I may have confused him with that other idiot, sorry, they all sound alike.

To be fair, I think you are thinking about a different poster. I won’t mention their user name here, though.

1 Like

yeah i just noticed, edited my post before you sniped my ass

• Assasin
  • Dwarf
  • Giant
  • Horsemen
  • Wizzard
1 Like