If video game commercials were honest ;-)

No objection from me. Let the age of Aquarius become reality. :chimpanzee_closedgrin:

Here in Germany the social standards changed significantly during the last 50 years and during the last 20 years there was a much more open-minded attitude towards non-heterosexual people and towards people with psychic diseases. Many people outside our country still think of Rammstein or :chimpanzee_hitler: first when they hear the word Germany. I hope that the good side will win in the long run and I’m quite optimistic about a bright future - even though it currently looks like we are going to adapt to the social standards of the US here in Europe and it also looks like some racist people are having a little comeback.

To get the link to ‘games’ again: I would not be sad if all violence and war would stay inside video game worlds from now on… :chimpanzee_smile:

Human history is full of mistakes, but it’s all part of growing up. Imagine waking up one day in the middle of nowhere. No recollection of who or what you are, no idea where you are, what time it is or how you came to be. Not another soul in sight, no map, no guidance, no clothes, no nothin. Just you and the great vastness that lay before you.

…mm…i guess, in such situation, ill be probably busy looking for water/food, before questioning about my whereabouts takes place…otherwise, no point to bother about it… :slight_smile:

Are there blocky pigs and trees? If so, immediately start punching some trees because you will need some tools right away to make pickaxes, torches, etc… :slight_smile:

1 Like

ahhh but you see this has been my plan all along… the best form of advertising we/jME3 has, is the forums, and by tricking everybody into being so honest… something something something masterplan…

… now dance for me my puppets, dance for me, mwhahahahaha …

1 Like

SQUIDS.

hashtagjustARandomWord

I think the common misconception is that people make dishonest ads because they’re greedy, but really I think they do it out of necessity. Take political ads for example, obviously politicians make promises they don’t keep or even make misleading statements about their opponent. The thing is that politics is their job, that’s what puts food on the table and if they lose the election they lose their job, their livelihood.

Pretty much any organism will do whatever it takes to survive. Animals in the wild have even been known to chew off their own leg when caught in a trap. When you put people in a life or death competition things are going to get ugly.

We complain about dishonest selling mechanisms, but really we’re only getting what we asked for. As a society we say sell me something or die so you better believe they’re going to find a way to sell you something.

We have one base instinct from which all others derive. There are no rules, there are no regulations. At all costs survive.

1 Like

But I still think they could at least insert some gameplay, not just CG stuff into some trailers (latest COD for example). That would at least add some honesty IMHO.

1 Like

Wrong: People (especially politicians) are forced to lie always.
Because: People who prove that their statements are true and that they never lie gain trust. But if you lie only once, trust must be earned again (which can be very difficult).
There are currently some political parties in my country that lied during the last 16 years - their share of the votes dropped drastically (often by 50 percent from what they were at in the year 2000).

(Partially) Correct:

Partially correct, because: It’s even worse - people in Europe are voting the new racist parties because they fear poverty or disadvantages due to too many refugees (which cost money and “might steal jobs”). So, people become ugly Nazis again just because they don’t want to share with others and don’t want to welcome those who are in desparate need.

Honesty and the will to share is about more than just animals fighting for their survival. It’s about moral too (because we are humans). It’s about trust (honesty versus liars) and it’s about sharing (if you already have “1st world problems” as your main worries in your daily life).

:chimpanzee_smile:

When you say politicians were forced to lie, how were they forced? Usually when you force someone to do something you do so by threatening their ability to survive. Obviously you can put a gun in someone’s face for the direct approach or if you had dirt on them there’s the ever venerable blackmail approach, but either way you slice it they’re lying in order to survive.

That was a citation of your statement. You said that they are forced to lie. I disagree (and always will).

Edit: Also note, that things must be seen in a broader context. When I speak of liars losing the trust of those who chose to buy their words or products I include other categories too (e.g. graphics cards manufacturers).

In one of the other videos by the creator of the one featured in this thread he talks about the Driv3r fiasco. Apparently the game was so buggy it was virtually unplayable. The developer promised two popular gaming publications early copies of the game to review in exchange for guaranteed 9/10 review scores. Ultimately gamers caught on to this because the game could not possibly have received such scores on its own merits due to it being so incredibly bad.

Scores of gamers took to the forums to call out the publications for their false reviews and the publications hired a company specializing in trolling forums to attack each negative forum post in an effort to quell the uproar.

Now making a game is not cheap and game companies don’t get paid until the game is released. In order to fund the production of a game the company must rely upon proceeds from their last game. If their game does not perform well in the market then their next game will have a lower budget and therefore be less able to compete with rival titles leading to ever decreasing sales, layoffs and ultimately bankruptcy.

I can tell things too:

I worked for a publisher that published new titles both from internal studios and also from external studios. For all the internal studios, games were more or less bug-free and successful - some of them quite successful in my country and a bit successful in other countries. Now, in 2012 they published that game from an external studio. Everything went fine, game looked good, a healthy interest and review from the press. But then, when they released the game, they broke the code during the last few days before publishing the gold disk. Game was so buggy that you could not load savegames, had plot stoppers, A.I. sometimes went brainless, etc. - it ruined some of the reputation of the publisher and definitely was a carreer killer for the programmers having worked in that external studio.

War of oppinion is extreme in the Steam forum (“hubs”) and in Early Access or Greenlight. Paid trolls, admins from hubs deleting correct criticim just because they can, broken games being re-released or re-announced multiple times under different names, and - the funny thing - only 12 official admins from Steam and most of them part-time or hobbyist (managing a forum with 2000+ games and not having the top level rights because they can be kicked by hub admins (which are the game makers or related to them - see paid trolls). So, in the current state, Steam community is horror - except from honest game developers (like some of our folks here in the jME community).

So what? If they release shit (see point 1. - it’s about that) then they will disappear. If the graphics are nice but the code is broken, the programmers (especially the Lead Developer) won’t find work anywhere else. If the code is okay but the graphics are shit, the artists won’t find work anywhere else. If the game design is shit - game designers. If the marketing is shit - the publisher will get discredit / disrepute (and the game developers too - often they both claim the other part was the liar). Indies can’t claim that their publisher was the liar (obviously).
Look at my example - they never made another game, because they never had another budget. Trust went into the toilet and the studio went insolvent / bankrupt immediately. If my company ever becomes big, I surely will watch out for people applying for a job that previously made that game at that studio.

Companies often use deceptive marketing tactics as is, apparently, the reason for this thread. So why do they do it? Are they just ass holes and do it just for shits and kicks? Maybe the CEO just wants another Ferrari? Maybe their afraid of going out of business?

As for the employee. Often times their superiors ask them to do the impossible. For Driv3r this was probably the case. Sure what was promised to be the game was possible, but not in the timeframe it needed to be done by. They ran out of money and couldn’t afford to pay their employees to keep working on the game.

I imagine Atari wanted to release the game they promised and when they made their promises they thought they could pull it off, but they miscalculated and when they ran out of money the option was to release the unfinished product trying to recoup as much of their losses as possible or apologize to the community for not being able to come through on their promises and declare bankruptcy.

Never trust liars again - unless they’ve proven to understand the message and released several very good products again. Don’t break the rule or you create acceptance for that behavior. Same everywhere - in all areas. Since we have freedom of choice everybody votes with the money in their wallet / paypal accounts.

If you’ve read my last post carefully you might have noticed that indies can’t blaim publishers (and no publisher can blaim the indie) - for obvious reasons. It’s interesting how often big companies fail while indies or small studios succeed (see the last SimCity versus Cities: Skylines).

Plus: I don’t want banana software (which will ripen in the months after the release). So either I buy only games from companies I trust or I wait until they’ve had some months of intense beta testing after the release of their version 1.0 (which is usually more a 0.9 in my eyes). It’s also the reason why I’m still on jME 3.0 - which is stable enough for me - even though it has some crazy bugs. I’m not an early adopter or beta tester. Other people have different philosophy of course.

I hope you’re not a Windows user.

Judge Thomas Jackson on Microsoft regarding the 1998 antitrust suit.

[Microsoft executives] “proved, time and time again, to be inaccurate, misleading, evasive, and transparently false. … Microsoft is a company with an institutional disdain for both the truth and for rules of law that lesser entities must respect. It is also a company whose senior management is not averse to offering specious testimony to support spurious defenses to claims of its wrongdoing”

I’m soneone who’s had enough now and will go to sleep after having watched some satire in the public TV channel. I could continue and we could talk about Windows and Microsoft. But it’s now time for me to leave this discussion and focus on something more productive. :chimpanzee_wink: But thanks for having brought this topic back on track - I’m not sure how many new readers will survive the garbage in the middle of it - but if there are some, they sure find some more food for thought at the end of it… :chimpanzee_smile:

1 Like

…so when corporations or politicians cheat and lie, its called ‘business practice’ or ‘necessity’, but when people do just same, with far less impact than mentioned crooks does, thats called fraud ?? Corporations sells nothing but lies and as such, should rot or bankrupt because of what they did/do doesn’t reflect product specification they asking money for…tolerance for such systems, offer no solution, just more and more garbage, as we all could witness easy today…

2 Likes

The point is that it’s the product of a deeply flawed system of governance, rules and regulations. People have been lying and cheating their way out of legal troubles for thousands of years, people have been lying and cheating their way into your pocketbook for thousands of years and no level of law or regulation has ever changed that.

People use the system to find ways to take advantage of others leading to a state of extreme unbalance. Contempt builds among the underprivileged for many years until it reaches the boiling point and revolution ensues causing a complete collapse of government and social order only to be replaced by virtually the same system with the same problems leading to the same outcome.

You can bitch and moan about the unfairness of the system all you want, but throwing people in jail doesn’t work. Doesn’t matter of they’re rich or poor, it doesn’t work, it has never in hundreds of thousands of years ever worked.

Show me one crime the criminal Justice system has ever solved.

LOL! Too funny!