Ios renderer?

Hi All,

Well I’ve searched, but can’t see the question cropping up anywhere… So I can see theres some cool looking build setup available for ios, just with a null renderer. Which is still useful for me, as alot of what I’m doing is message exchange. So I’ll be setting up a mac build VM soon :smiley:

But, is there anything happening on the renderer side? I’ve seen a few threads talking about different renderers in general, but I didn’t spot anything specific to ios… I guess most likely its waiting to see if any of the devs on jogl / lwjgl managed to get anything working?

Thanks!

Since JOGL supports OpenGL ES 2.0, it should be possible to port it to iOS fairly easily. Currently nobody has attempted it yet due to lack of interest and/or a Mac OS X machine.

The JOGL port can happen without a Mac, its solely disinterest. I’d be very interested but I neither have the experience with the renderer of jME nor the time to dig into it.

@normen said: The JOGL port can happen without a Mac
To port JOGL to iOS, the iOS APIs need to be used, the JOGL native library compiled to iOS target, linking against iOS runtime libraries, and then an iOS application generated so that it can be deployed on an iOS device or an iOS emulator. How many of these steps can be performed without a Mac OS X machine?
@Momoko_Fan said: To port JOGL to iOS, the iOS APIs need to be used, the JOGL native library compiled to iOS target, linking against iOS runtime libraries, and then an iOS application generated so that it can be deployed on an iOS device or an iOS emulator. How many of these steps can be performed without a Mac OS X machine?

All of the steps you mentioned are prepared in the iOS build template. Its no difference, first the jME renderer needs to be there. Also, ideally the same thing would be done for android anyway, which is cross-platform. Furthermore OSX can be installed in a Virtual PC so none of the steps requires a Macintosh computer.

So, after a chat in the team, @Momoko_Fan doesn’t want the renderer to be changed, so there will be no iOS renderer I’m afraid, use Android.

fair enough, its already doing a ton of awesome stuff so to expect multi render backends, or a change of render engine on a whim, is a bit much… id rather have one renderer working well personally, ios would have just been something cool to play with.

having said that… still going to play with the ios compile with null renderer… if i hadn’t just blown my PSU :’(

<cite>@vinnieb said:</cite> I guess most likely its waiting to see if any of the devs on jogl / lwjgl managed to get anything working?
The JogAmp runtime environment (Project Ji Gong) might get iOS support but it's far from being trivial and we need some fundings.