Continuing the trend of forcing JME to render boring 2D applications...
As a break from my Mythruna work this week, I've continued to poke at my little 2D tile-based test app that I used to test some networking stuff in Zay-ES-Net and JME (all fixed so far, by the way). I had the idea that it should be possible to take 3D block-style data and use some logic to figure out what tile to render for a particular grid cell.
I'll remind everyone now that I didn't make this tileset. It's not the kind I would have made anyway but it's free and expansive. (It's this one: http://kenney.nl/assets/roguelike-rpg-pack) So if you think something like "Neat idea but the tileset is lame." Well... it was free and makes a great test case. You also have to understand that Kenney's stuff is all styled very similarly and that's good in its own way... but I digress.
Here are the results of my efforts so far:
That world is generated from a truncated block world, basically. It finds the proper tile to use based on the surrounding blocks and so on.
To do that, I wrote a quick and dirty tileset editor that lets me map specific tiles to various edge configurations.
For example, here are all of the various edge configurations to consider:
The editor I wrote allows me to pull up a tileset, extract a group of tiles, and then map it to the various configurations. Here is the editor in action:
That swing app took me about 8 hours to write, I guess... my Swing muscles have not been used in a while but apparently my Swing-fu is still strong.