jME3 SDK - First Alpha Release

http://jmonkeyengine.com/blog/blog/2010/05/17/jme3-sdk-first-alpha-release/

http://digg.com/d31RZvf

How about that!

I have found a few issues with the release:

• when using the LWJGL render the sample application generated with the SDK fails on hardware that does not support GLSL

• after a few minutes, the SDK just dies (this seems to be somehow related to the previous point)

Shouldn't the default demo be made without shaders, or is GLSL hardware a requirement for jME3?

In the latter case, it should be checked if the hardware is available, instead of just dying.

Should I create some tickets for these issues?

Congrats, tremendous, stupendous.

If I were king you could all take the day off.

Grats, you guys are doing an incredible good job!!! Couldn’t underline that enough…

congratulations…

I'm very impressed.  :-o

This release very cool. :smiley:

awesome. i will install as soon as i get home :slight_smile:

Great work!

I will have a try when I get home as well.

You guys rock!

Paulo

Is the sourcecode of the jme3 platform aviable?

I would like to work on it and add some features by myself

DarkPhoenixX said:

Is the sourcecode of the jme3 platform aviable?
I would like to work on it and add some features by myself

It's in the jme-gde branch of the svn, I think.
http://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/source/browse/#svn/branches/jme3-gde

The jMonkeyPlatform is basically what makes the jME3 SDK, instead of just jME3 :wink:

tim8dev's link is correct.

And thanks for the show of support guys :slight_smile:

I have my problems making GDE runnable in Eclipse.

What libs do I need extra? Where is the main function? Thx

DarkPhoenixX said:

I have my problems making GDE runnable in Eclipse.
What libs do I need extra? Where is the main function? Thx

You will need NetBeans 6.8 to compile jMonkeyPlatform. The instructions can be found on the googlecode page and in the wiki under "jme3".

Cheers,
Normen

I  read the wiki about the GDE and saw the information:

So if you feel like you want to make an addition to jMonkeyPlatform dont hesitate to contact the jme team regardless of your knowledge in NetBeans platform development. For new plugins, the basic project creation and layout of the plugin can always be handled by a core developer and you can go on from there creating a swing application like you are used to.

I take it, if it works inside eclipse you can add it to GDE, meaning I can do  more produtive stuff.

I saw in the youtube video, that you can move objects inside the sceneviewer. I would like to try it out (inside GDE) and have a look at the code. thx

Great work!

Is there a reference somewhere of what it would take to convert a JME2 application to JME3?

Thanks!

erock said:

Great work!

Is there a reference somewhere of what it would take to convert a JME2 application to JME3?

Thanks!

There is a feature comparision somewhere in the forum or wiki.. just search ;)
But I think, it's too early to make such an reference, as many classes like CameraNode, LightNode, SkyBox, etc.. haven't been ported (yet)..
pjmlp said:

- when using the LWJGL render the sample application generated with the SDK fails on hardware that does not support GLSL

- after a few minutes, the SDK just dies (this seems to be somehow related to the previous point)

Shouldn't the default demo be made without shaders, or is GLSL hardware a requirement for jME3?

In the latter case, it should be checked if the hardware is available, instead of just dying.

yes, a currebt gen graphics card with shader support is required for jme3 to work afaik.
No need to file an issue, there are several checks that have to be put in still, like also a check for a valid JDK etc.
Cheers, Normen
normen said:

pjmlp said:

- when using the LWJGL render the sample application generated with the SDK fails on hardware that does not support GLSL

- after a few minutes, the SDK just dies (this seems to be somehow related to the previous point)

yes, a currebt gen graphics card with shader support is required for jme3 to work afaik.
No need to file an issue, there are several checks that have to be put in still, like also a check for a valid JDK etc.
Cheers, Normen

I succeeded in using JME 3 on my machine with no GLSL support, OpenGL 1.3 but with the JOGL renderer. Do you still consider a proper GLSL support is a requirement for JME 3?
gouessej said:

I succeeded in using JME 3 on my machine with no GLSL support, OpenGL 1.3 but with the JOGL renderer. Do you still consider a proper GLSL support is a requirement for JME 3?

Basic OGL1 support will be put back into jme3 sooner or later but it really is a shader-based engine.