JME3 Vulkan

yes, i think its only good if you plan to split code into jme3/jme4 to know which packages were already refactored. so when all is refactored just remove jme3 package folder. so its good to leave just jme, but depends what way you refactor it.

The question though is, if we are really talking about jme “4” here, as in fourth generation, complete rewrite. I have been told I am a bit picky about that, but for me this is about a branch feature/renderer-vulkan and maybe a branch feature/reorder-examples, which could both simply be jme3.4 instead of 4.

Unless things like Animation, Physics etc are completely redone (that’s my feeling about that). But in the end these things can be changed very quickly again, like if that really was the concern, one could revert the renaming commit and merge the changes.

The guys really suffering from the examples and package renaming will be the wiki editors though :smiley: And anyone wanting to port their project actually, so package renaming would really be nothing for jme3.4 :thinking:

2 Likes

All I know is that the jme3 package must have been really useful to the guys writing jme3 as a replacement for jme version 2… and it certainly made it super obvious in stack traces which version was being run.

I’m not sure I understand what the heartburn is about. The ide can easily change packages. GIT will know where the file originally came from, etc…

If your concern is about forking the “common code”, I think that’s actually a benefit as trying to stay compatible at that level may be impossible as the versions diverge.

@Darkchaos many things are going to break any compatibility as jme4 will also be cutting lwjgl2, jbullet, and support for java8 in favor for java11.
I do not think it would be a good idea to keep the jme3.x versioning once we break all compatibility. There will probably be major changes to the way we use the opengl side of jme once the abstraction layer is in place.

EDIT: I WILL finish the rebrand today (goal to self)
Also, question, I recall reading somewhere (I cannot remember where) that we want to rename SimpleApplication to just Application? Can someone elaborate on this? Is this a good thing to do for jme4?

1 Like

People think SimpleApplication is for quick and simple games, when in fact it should be used in virtually all instances.

1 Like

Rebrand complete. I probably missed some strings, but we can fix those as we go!