jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Cookbook published!

Hi!

Over the past year, I’ve been working on the “follow up” to jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beginner’s Guide: jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Cookbook.
After a lot of hard work, it’s finally been published! Although biased, I think it contains a lot of useful tips for both fairly new users as well as those with some experience from jMonkeyEngine. :slight_smile:
Among other things, it has a chapter wholly dedicated to networking and Spidermonkey. It also has useful tips on AI, various world generating problems, like optimizing meshes for cube worlds, day and night cycles and flowing water.
I’m planning on putting together a short video with some of the recipes in action.

(If you click on “Free Sample” and expand the bar to the left you can see the entire table of contents for the book)

Cheers,
Rickard

17 Likes

Awesome! Great work Rickard, this will help a lot of people and is just the right follow-up for the beginners book. Kudos!

Cool, gonna order it :wink:

I just got jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beginner’s Guide. I read few pages and its very nice and well documented. Is there need to get the Cookbook too? What level this Cookbook will cover?

@devWaleed said: I just got jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beginner's Guide. I read few pages and its very nice and well documented. Is there need to get the Cookbook too? What level this Cookbook will cover?

The cookbook is aimed at “intermediate to advanced” users. The cookbook is probably a logical next step after understanding the basic concepts of jMonkeyEngine and having done a couple of small projects.

This is a quote from Packt Pub’s homepage:

"Cookbook. A collection of practical self-contained recipes that all users of the technology will find useful for building more powerful and reliable systems."

Cheers

bought it yesterday, from the table of contents the topics look rather interesting!

1 Like

bought it!..thanks

1 Like

Bought It . Reading now. Thanks for making it.

1 Like

EDIT: OOPS NEVER MIND. I just expected something to launch its in the bottom left corner of the SDK.

@rickard Can we ask questions about book here? If not let me know

On Chapter One when making the Water Filter.
I cant figure out on the SDK to actually launch the FilterExplorer. Right clicking or double clicking does nothing. Is that something that is available in the Stable SDK?

Thanks,
Greg

On Chapter One when making the Water Filter. I cant figure out on the SDK to actually launch the FilterExplorer. Right clicking or double clicking does nothing. Is that something that is available in the Stable SDK?

Hey Greg have you enabled filters in the top panel of the sceneviewer? (right by the wireframe view and the little lightbulb)

@nomnom Thanks

What I had to do was first open the scene in the viewer
Then right click on the filter in the project and say open
Then go back to the scene viewer and click on the eyeball

@gbluntzer said: @rickard Can we ask questions about book here? If not let me know

Thanks,
Greg

By all means, ask away! I’ll do my best to answer.

Just brought and using now, so far so good and loving it :mrgreen:

1 Like
@lawsy said: Just brought and using now, so far so good and loving it :mrgreen:

Glad that you enjoy it (and I hope you others are too :slight_smile: )!

I’ve noticed a few issues in the example code, where mainly some Nifty XML files have old package references after a refactoring. I’m going to fix this and upload a new code bundle to Packt.

1 Like

Sweet Cookbook, lots of great recipes, great insight of the jmonkey engine too!
Rating++

Thank you.
Saw it, sampled it, bought it.

It’s on my tablet now with the book on the way.

1 Like

Hey!
If anyone feels like it (especially if you like the book :wink: ), please consider reviewing it at whatever site you bought it. It’ll help other people make an informed decision.

Cheers

Yo!

@rickard I want to give it 5 stars on every online store so bad, but being one of the book’s technical reviewers holds me back… ! Naw, it’s announced on my homepage and plan on getting a good number of friends interested in the book. It feels like the definitive sequel to the Beginner’s Guide and it was both and honor and a pleasure to be a small part of it.

@devWaleed said: I just got jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beginner's Guide. I read few pages and its very nice and well documented. Is there need to get the Cookbook too? What level this Cookbook will cover?

@devWaleed jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Beginner’s Guide encourages you to progressively develop a tower defense game. I made an early prototype to apply the guide’s ideas on how best to organize your code for a jMonkey project:

Source: https://github.com/abnercoimbre/tower-defense-cave

Hopefully it’ll be helpful to have some example code present to compare against your own while reading.

I was sort of just a silent observer in the community. Now that I’ve made my first post, I’ll try and be more active.

–Abner

1 Like
@abner said: Yo!

@rickard I want to give it 5 stars on every online store so bad, but being one of the book’s technical reviewers holds me back… ! Naw, it’s announced on my homepage and plan on getting a good number of friends interested in the book. It feels like the definitive sequel to the Beginner’s Guide and it was both and honor and a pleasure to be a small part of it.

Nice to hear from you, Abner!
Your feedback was great and most of all constructive and it definitely helped increasing the quality of the book by no small amount.
I actually thought you were a professional content editor until I saw your profile in the final layout. :slight_smile:

spiders are creepyyy :frowning: