JmonkeyEngine SANDBOX

Hello,
After working with jme for several weeks, this is my opinion about jme:
JME is great engine you have many feature and tools inside engine, pretty much complete to start making games, the design pattern that the engine offers really makes your way robust and fast to make games but still making a game as indi developer is hard and time consuming also working all in code is insane, the fact that you can use many 3rd parties along with your ide still doesn’t help it the lack of jme sandbox, the fact that there is not good sandbox and model terrain viewer for jme in like all in one approach which cryengine or unity and … already offer really make it hard to continue with engine. I know that jme can’t get compared to those engines, but as the only java engine with this remarkable capacity isn’t it better to find a solution around it?!
Please jmEngine devs consider it, make poll for it, let ask all community about it

This is the misconception, though… you are a JME dev, I’m a JME dev, everyone who reads the forum is a JME dev.

So usually the way this conversation will go is:
“Yes, that’s a great idea… we could really use some help to make it happen.”
"Oh, I don’t have the time for that… I’m not experienced enough… " and so on.

And wait a few months and repeat the conversation.

Yes, it’s a big gaping hole. There is the SDK that few seem to want to pitch in and fix (though more lately which is kind of exciting to see) that is the closest you will find to what you describe. But without new devs to chip in and make it happen nothing happens.

Edit: it’s not about desire, it’s about action.

5 Likes

That is 100% on par. Having time between life challenges to take on a huge project like a scene editor like Unity is a HUGE project. That is a several year project, if you do it right. Other wise you end up with this project has this, and that project has that.

There are many small scene project apps out there, taking on something like that is Huge.

I would love to help, but between life, what spare time I have I put it towards my game that I converted from my own engine into JME. I would not have any spare time to help…

I will soon have spare time, I’m closing my company and going to retire at the end of the year. I’m just tired of working and will go full time working on my game, and which it will allow for free time for extra work.

1 Like

Livin’ the dream!

1 Like

like you said, JME is great arround all-code since you can do anything you want, use any third party you want, etc etc. License is very good, no fee tax like in other engines and it is open source, not closed/part-closed engine code. You missed this things that are important imo.

You have terrain viewer in JME, so idk why you tell there is no viewer for it.
SDK have model/terrain/scene editor. It dont have voxel editor tho.(but voxel libs have them themselfs)

What is lack is build-in ECS into SDK there.

But, for me nothing stopped me from doing custom-editor(sdk editor is open source so you can see how its done) and add ECS editor part into it. (and well, ECS based, not j3o single file everything)

So this is not problem IMO. Sandbox for me would be more pain, since sandbox is always limited to its functions. (unless it would be some custom-extendable one - there was one started but abandoned early). Maybe for new-members it could help, idk.

IMO more imporant things now are for example what @rickard recently doing, it is better Shader Node editor, its something that could help everyone. (well, we all can code them, but better visual editor is important for this part)

Anyway its nice you share with fresh opinion, thanks :+1: Just wanted to add my opinion too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand what you mean, I made some thought around it,
Needing more devs, more time, == more money, actually some people must put their time on this and we can’t do this unless we go commercial, but there is still one way can remain engine opensource and also adding a lot more sandbox features to it, besides game development i have very good experience in blockchain, it is 3 years now that i made lots of experience and money from DeFi and i had some successful dapps in TRX network and BSC, JME can get money this way to improve the engine hire more devs and go on, making a NFT dapp market and JME token on any good cheap blockchain(TRX,BT,BSC,…), a market place for jme devs, 3d, audio, ui artists, we can get good fee on artist sales to pay on engine,also take 5% of total supply to reserve for engine devs, getting fees from sales, transactions, and pools to improve jme, providing several liquidity and farms we can get a lot more than enough money to improving jme with just even a 50mCap organic growth, also we get a lot more attention from a lot more users by this way. I can help on marketing strategies. nothing will threaten jme license this way.
Edit: not also this dapp market for jme it can act even more general for more game artist from other communities, there is still big empty place for this such dapp on DeFi. that jme can use to make a rocket jump to the future success

:astonished:

1 Like

well i had same feeling :sweat_smile:

But since im dumb in this topics, its all i can tell, just waiting for someone knowledge in same topic area…

Perhaps I will clarify a bit. JME is not some organization, it is simply the people on this forum who take the time to be part of the community, maintain the servers, and contribute to the main GitHub repository.

While there are several key individuals who are the majority contributors, none of us are paid for our time on the engine, and none of us work full time on it, those who contribute simply do it on their own time and on their own dime.

If someone would like to contribute, they are welcome to, we would love more active contributors, but none of us currently have the bandwidth to take on anything even remotely close to the scale that you propose, nor can we make the decision to become a commercial entity. JME is a collaboration, not a organization.

We love the ideas, and if you wish to contribute financially you can donate to help maintain our server infrastructure.

In the future I believe we hope to have bug bounties, but that is a different discussion and not near term as far as I am aware.

3 Likes

well, we have OpenCollective for JME, but its not like many people will pay there.
and still i didnt seen it used for more things than just Server Maintenance costs.

So i agree its almost like major contributors get nothing(that is bad). (tho i still hope to see some pizza orders made there at least :slight_smile: )

I think some marketing person was always needed here anyway.

And so @artlake already written on Donation topic about this thing(tho he didnt seem to pay anything himself hehe), but i belive he might have some idea. But it would be best to discuss directly with Core Dev Team members in some chat.

1 Like

Well we don’t need to be commercial entity at all! many little projects in DeFi are just teams from 2 up to 10 persons! and made growth by time

I witnessed projects that even had not enough money to pay for audit or to pay just 1k$ on marketing, but now has millions dollars Total value locked in their dapps, many remain anonymous and not being commercial entity

Many projects in defi are fully community based, and get votes by community for each step they develop.
we can act like this too. which no reserve from total supply and let community owns all the supply by mining it from first token to max supply, this way we get good TVL at first. also our community can own jme token and mine it. jme token will be used as token for sales, votes, and on each sale a little fee be owned by team and contributors.

We won’t need any exchange listing at first, since we can provide our on swap liquidity in our own dapp and several d_Exchanges

Many projects in defi are not companies and mostly are anonymous entities they don’t have office their team members are even not from same country, this project can be a side project and we reserves fee profits (and even part of total supply) to just pay on engine development, pay contributors or airdrop them, marketing, partnering with other defi projects, when it go fully decentralized anything possible in defi.

There is nothing to worry here as long we go with solid understanding and good roadmap and not inventing new financial ideas since this was major reason for failure for many dapps i witnessed, like lately biggest one(luna), we only need to use solid successful tested solutions, already there is lots of solid successful opensource projects in DeFi, for anything we may need now we have already ready developed smart contract somewhere in DeFi which is already tested and audited successfully for our pools, and nft marketplace, we only need to understand it, improve it (if needed even), use it! I’m already working on a dapp right now i can be ready in future to be part of dapp development for jme.

@oxplay2 you are right, truth is people need to get paid for their work but also we need to keep our free licensing strategy, only good way to overcome it, is through DeFi,

DeFi always helped projects who desperately seek help and attention but people will attention to those who can make money for them a pool of jme/usdt with 10%~40% profit for liquidity providers will bring money,
a mining of jme token will bring money not only to crypto investor but to us too.

there are many ways to start a defi project each has cons and pros, I think being 100% community distribution without any pre_sale will be best idea for jme token, just take a little time and Travers dapps in bsc, eth, trx chains and see how they succeeded, and what they sell! you may witness they make money from nothing even, but thousand users attention to them! we are actually nerds and those who exactly deserve those kinda money, we won’t sell picture of our socks and pants as nft. neither we won’t exit liquidity on poor users, nor we won’t dump our share of total supply on users! Jme is real actual work and our users are not in-front of anonymous teams with fantasy ideas and shiny cosmic roadmap which step by step won’t happen!!

EDIT: I know that you may be very foreign to this kinda topics and i have tons of info in my brain and just don’t know how to effectively tell you what i mean,if it help, i can work on good and clear presentation and back to you

1 Like

yes, some presentation would be good. Myself i just can’t tell, because i dont know this topic well, so for me like its just about “belive your words”.

but it would be also ok if you would talk with @RiccardoBlb for example who knows topic, i belive.

In fact any person who knows this topic to start discussion would be fine so other people would better understand different opinions about this idea. Still in any case, final decisions are left for core members like @pspeed @sgold @RiccardoBlb @Darkchaos (sorry if i missed someone same level important)
We(community) can just help by providing more information arround the idea.

2 Likes

We have enough funds in opencollective for server costs etc… so i was already thinking how we could redirect some of the extra funds to the community. The problem lies in finding a way that is fair to everyone.

There are services built around funding issues resolution on github, like gitcoin or gitpay, that could be used for that, after deciding which issues need funding (either by importance, interest or vote) we would send the funds from opencollective and reward whoever can provide a resolving PR (iirc gitcoin allows also to reward collaborative PRs by splitting the reward among the different contributors). That would be one way that is transparent and fair.

Lately i was also thinking if we could redirect donations to the community, and i figured that we could integrate something with the (currently under development) jme-initializer, that, once we get community libraries there, could show a set of slides (kinda like the humble bundle thing) to split the donation toward our opencollective, the authors of the selected libraries and our top X contributors on github that decide to opt in the program. (it would be like an npm fund with better ux, basically)

That would be built on top of the lightning network that allows to deal with most of the logic client side while also being the cheapest/fastest option and (becoming) the defacto standard for micropayment with companies like strike or cashapp that auto convert to dollars, so that we can use the technology without alienating people who dislike bitcoin or crypto and don’t want to deal with them.

Regarding your proposal @artlake, what you are talking about is basically emitting something akin to an unregistered security, and while this is currently legal (in this format) and works for some projects, in our case, i think it would result in a purely speculative asset, since we don’t have a real value to bind to it.
I think we shouldn’t tie jme to a speculative token.

8 Likes

I looked into this (and actually made a prototype), not really for NFTs but for a marketplace that can run by itself without an entity (that we don’t have) that keeps the accounting, handles refunds etc.

And while it looks like a good idea, i’ve been told that this is problematic, since most countries require to pay VAT to the country of the purchaser and it is not only complex to figure it out in this scenario (without KYC), but it becomes also complex to file taxes and deal with all the legal shenanigans. Usually market places deal with this for you for an hefty fee.
So, until the laws change or the states collapse, i think we can’t go that route (legally).

4 Likes